Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ideas for sugar/grain-free breakfasts and reduced sugar lunches? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512239)

cjs0405 04-26-2013 09:33 PM

Ideas for sugar/grain-free breakfasts and reduced sugar lunches?

For me, I am beginning to reduce my sugar and grain intake for health reasons. I have started with breakfast and have just started this week. So far, I've just been eating scrambled eggs and have noticed an improvement in my health and energy already! This is motivation to continue. Besides eggs, what in the world else could I eat that's not sugary or grainy? Along, the same lines...what about for lunch?

My second area for improvement is my DD's school lunch. It is very high in sugar! If I try to change it up (I.e. a different nut butter or veggies with ranch dressing) she won't eat it. Here's the normal lunch: pb&honey sandwich, gogurt simple or Trader Joe's yogurt tubes, pirate booty or goldfish, and a fruit. On occasion, I will switch it up with pepperoni and crackers in place of the sandwich. So what could I give her that is very similar to the lunch she's already eating, but with a reduction in sugar?
TIA!

saturn 04-27-2013 12:20 PM

Re: Fix breakfast and school lunch options...

For breakfast, I like plain yogurt with fruit. Still some sugar, but they are natural sugars. You could also add something like sausage or low-sodium ham.

For the school lunch, maybe try swapping the gogurt for something less sweet, like string cheese or cottage cheese. For the sandwich, maybe she'd like pb with bananas or apples instead of honey.

Leiiki 04-27-2013 12:40 PM

I think smoothies rock for an easy breakfast. You can pack in lots of nutritious stuff and it tastes great. Frozen berries and bananas can keep the smoothie sweet without added sugar, or you can use raw honey which has some nutritive value.

For lunches, put ~2 inches of nut butter in a tall jar and then stick celery and carrot sticks in it and close the lid. Try making wraps with tortilla and Neufchâtel or cream cheese topped with veggie strips, sliced meats, or fruits. You can send the whole wrap or slice it into wheels.

ETA: If she gets hungry enough, she'll eat what you give her. I wouldn't worry about her skipping a few days in protest, she isn't your boss. Does she have access to other food at school if she doesn't want her lunch? If so, I think you're in more of a bind. If not, make her something you're comfortable with and keep sending it.

If DD doesn't eat her lunch, that's what she gets as snacks/dinner until she at least makes an effort.

Mama1225 04-27-2013 02:50 PM

I think smoothies are a great breakfast option. But they can get sweet, so you just have to watch what you put in them (like what kid of yogurt you use if you add that).

To substitute for the GoGurt for her lunch, have you tried using plain yogurt with a tad of honey and some fresh/frozen fruit? I find its way better and much less sugar.

cjs0405 04-28-2013 08:25 AM

Re: Ideas for sugar/grain-free breakfasts and reduced sugar lunches?

She's not my "boss," but I am her mother and it is my responsibility to see that she is satisfactorily fed at school. It is one thing if she refuses at home, but I think seeing to it that she eats adequately every day at school ensures appropriate behavior and successful learning. With that being said, I find it important to feed her foods she enjoys, but is healthy. Such a challenge! Especially when it comes to convenient, "packable" options.

Great idea about the bananas in place of the honey. I'm going to try that. And also the string cheese in place of the gogurt. She does like yogurt with honey. I'm sure that's significantly less sugar than the tubes. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming! And the non-boring breakfast ideas too!

mamacita1222 04-28-2013 10:48 AM

I would throw leftover veggies in with your eggs (cut up nice and small heat up in skillet before adding eggs to scramble). You can also throw in a spoonful of salsa and a spoon of cream cheese. Trust me it is great! And fresh herbs like parsley and cilantro can really brighten up your eggs.

I make all-fruit smoothies (no ice, no yogurt). My favorite is a handful of strawberries and a pear (skin on) with about 2 or 3 ounces of apple juice. If you keep the fruit in the fridge it is plenty cold. When I was pregnant I made this once a day: a whole banana + 1/4 cup peanut butter + drizzle of honey + 1% milk. Awesome!

Yogurt and fruit is good, but I like to save that as an afternoon snack when I am dying for something sweet.

Also, not sure how you like your coffee, but if you put a little bit of heavy cream in your coffee you can easily skip the sugar. If that seems too unhealthy half and half might do the trick.

GL!

mamacita1222 04-28-2013 10:55 AM

Also how old is your daughter? Maybe you can get her involved in packing her lunch the night before. And you could try to talk about different food groups and how to incorporate them into every meal.

agl 04-28-2013 01:10 PM

My kids like frozen peas. They are defrosted by lunchtime. Veggie straws are also a favorite. Maybe you could try turkey lunchmeat and cheese and crackers too.

cjs0405 05-01-2013 11:29 AM

Any other grain free/sugar free ideas for breakfast? Even in addition to the eggs.

vjbakke 05-01-2013 12:34 PM

Here are some blogs that have many recipes ideas, They are both follow the sugar and grain free way of eating.

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

http://satisfyingeats.wordpress.com/