Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Night weaning Qs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512285)

Lolobug 04-27-2013 06:39 AM

Hi!
My dd is 20 months old. She DEMANDS to nurse a lot. It is just getting to be far too much, I feel her big sister is missing out because of her "needs". I would like to wean by 2. My dd was nursing a few times throughout the night, I have come to realize that she doesn't know how to fall asleep on her own. Recently, I've been letting her cry/fuss when she wakes during the night. Some nights she fusses a lot and others not too much at all. We've been going through the night now without nursing for about 4-5 days; should the struggle be subsiding?
I've heard of Jay Gordon's night weaning method but I'm not sure where I should start with that plan. I don't want to start at the beginning by nursing her through the night again. Help? Please!

GreenHome Sewing 04-30-2013 09:16 AM

Re: Night weaning Qs

I am in the same boat Mama.
My 18 month old was a constant night nurser. It made her terrible to sleep with! She only ever had boobs to fall asleep with, as I have been her "only" caregiver up to now. This wasn't so much a problem for me, but now she does not have other self-soothing methods (which IS a problem!)
Last week I began nursing her to sleep and when she was out I would button up my nightgown. She used to be able to just reach over and dig one out herself in the night. When she would wake because she didn't have access, I would simply shush her and tell her "boobies went nu-night" or something similar. The first two nights she got real grumpy and woke up every 45 minutes or so. I simply repeated the same to her and attempted to use any other comfort methods she would take. A week later and she is no longer waking in the middle of the night to nurse. She sometimes wakes in the early morning hours but I can usually get her to go back to sleep without. We do continue nursing TO sleep initially, around 8:30/9 which is bedtime for the boys too.
She has become a much better co-sleeper since I weaned out the night nursing. She was waking both of us with constant moving, nursing, digging at me, etc. I do hope to move her to the crib in the next few months. I figured night weaning first was more gentle and easier on both of us. She does nurse during the day still, but that has decreased in the last few months as well.

Lolobug 05-01-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenHome Sewing
I am in the same boat Mama.
My 18 month old was a constant night nurser. It made her terrible to sleep with! She only ever had boobs to fall asleep with, as I have been her "only" caregiver up to now. This wasn't so much a problem for me, but now she does not have other self-soothing methods (which IS a problem!)
Last week I began nursing her to sleep and when she was out I would button up my nightgown. She used to be able to just reach over and dig one out herself in the night. When she would wake because she didn't have access, I would simply shush her and tell her "boobies went nu-night" or something similar. The first two nights she got real grumpy and woke up every 45 minutes or so. I simply repeated the same to her and attempted to use any other comfort methods she would take. A week later and she is no longer waking in the middle of the night to nurse. She sometimes wakes in the early morning hours but I can usually get her to go back to sleep without. We do continue nursing TO sleep initially, around 8:30/9 which is bedtime for the boys too.
She has become a much better co-sleeper since I weaned out the night nursing. She was waking both of us with constant moving, nursing, digging at me, etc. I do hope to move her to the crib in the next few months. I figured night weaning first was more gentle and easier on both of us. She does nurse during the day still, but that has decreased in the last few months as well.

Thank you so much for your reply!
Did you have to wean your boys or did they wean by themselves? I'm done w nursing but she doesn't seem to want to be! I'm not sure how to wean her, I figured I'd be diligent about the night and then work on the day afterwards. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Happy Mommax4 05-01-2013 03:01 PM

I was in your boat a few months ago, my DS, 20mos then, needed to be nursed to sleep and would wake frequently throughout the night. I decided for me that I couldn't continue. I needed to reclaim some time for myself!

I made sure that he had a descent supper and snack/drink prior to bed then I handed him over to DH-he slept w him all night for a few nights.

It was rough a night or two but after that he slept through the night well! He would still wake to nurse in the early am but we transitioned out of that also, we just moved him to a crib in his own room-freedom!!!!

GL mamma!

Lolobug 05-09-2013 06:03 AM

She still won't sleep through the night... Any suggestions?