Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Does "felted" also mean "shrunk?" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512318)

onion 04-27-2013 08:54 AM

Does "felted" also mean "shrunk?"

I just bought a medium Loveybums (fitted wool cover) here and in the description the seller said "somewhat felted." A Med is supposed to fit 9 - 22lbs but this thing can't cover my 14.5 pounder.
Should I have assumed that it was this shrunken? Should I have asked for measurements? Was I just being ignorant?
To boot, there is a 2inch stain on the outside that the seller did not mention...

l_Kimmie_l 04-27-2013 09:22 AM

Re: Does "felted" also mean "shrunk?"

I bought felted wool before and it was not shrunk at all. I would ask for a refund for the undisclosed staining though.

Tina5834 04-27-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
I bought felted wool before and it was not shrunk at all. I would ask for a refund for the undisclosed staining though.

This

boysniris 04-27-2013 10:29 AM

My understanding is that if the item is felted AFTER being sewn together, etc, yes it will shrink. Felting is where the fibers tighten and shrink up. However, if the FABRIC is felted first, then the item is sewn together, no it's not shrunk b/c it's sewn to the correct dimensions using felted fabric.

JustAugust 04-27-2013 10:36 AM

Yes, felting will shrink an item. It's like throwing large longies in the washer and dryer. You might be lucky for them to fit as a small after that. I would assume lightly felted meant not that felted so it should fit just a little under the size it should be.

qsefthuko 04-27-2013 10:39 AM

Yes you should have assumed a bit shrunk but from the description somewhat I wouldn't have expected it to be a lot shrunk. Thar isn't somewhat felted that is very felted. I always ask for measurements as I did buy some covers that were very felted and didn't fit. The owner had been given them used so had no idea what they were supposed to measure or look like. She kindly let me return them and purchase her bigger covers instead.

ulawolf 04-27-2013 10:47 AM

Agree completely with above posters. I would also say that asking for measurements is something I always do. If they don't fit then I would explain that and send them back. You will have to pay shipping however then she can resell.

3lilbubs 04-27-2013 11:25 AM

Yes, I would expect some shrink with felted items. It can be different with each instance however, so yes if I saw that description I would ask HOW felted it is. I think if it were me, I would chalk that up to lesson learned, ask more questions regarding felting. The stain is something that should be addressed with the seller however.

~happy2Bamommy~ 04-27-2013 01:08 PM

Contact her and let her know they are felted to a small and there is also a stain. Per paypal, you are required to pay return shipping with DC/tracking but you should be refunded full purchase price. You may want to open a paypal dispute to be sure you are protected.

ashley84 04-27-2013 01:15 PM

I'm not an experienced wool user, but my understanding of "felted" was that it means shrunk. I've bought felted pieces before. They are thicker, more tightly woven, and shrunk.