Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Help me find a method that works! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512411)

Art mama 04-27-2013 03:27 PM

Help me find a method that works!

I'm trying my hardest to purge and getting overwhelmed. We have soooo much stuff. I've purged over 1500 items so far and was making progress until hubby went into the hospital and oldest dd had her bday. Plus new summer clothes coming in. We are a family of 4 in a 2 bedroom 1100 sq ft house. I am an artist and I homeschool.

My biggest problem areas are kids toys, art & craft supplies and homeschool supplies. I'm thinking about packing all of these items up in tubs and only getting things out as we need them. That will really show me what we use and what we just think we will use. Anybody tried this? Or have any suggestions for me? Kids are 7 years old and almost 1 year old if that helps

ellybb99 04-27-2013 04:22 PM

Re: Help me find a method that works!

my experience, if it was not used in the last year it is out

Mrs.Os 04-27-2013 04:26 PM

I'm pretty good at this actually, here's the method we use around here that really does work. First you go in your bathroom. You then remove everything from one location have 3 boxes 1. To keep 2. To give away 3. Doesn't go in the bathroom then repeat until the entire room is cleared out. Then put everything from the keep box back into the room. Then go to your bedroom with the 3 boxes. Go through each drawer and closet and shelf and anywhere else "stuff" hides and repeat what you did in the bathroom. Do one room a day or if everyone's helping over a weekend. Then put the stuff from the keep box back. Then to the next bedroom and repeat. If this is a kid room when it comes to clothing and toys ask your oldest to help. Sort out clothing into sizes and toys into age groups. Put the clothing that fits your children back into the closet then go through what's between them and pick out what could be handed down and put it into a plastic tote and put it in the closet, everything else you can donate or repurpose. For the toys toss any broken or terribly stained toys you can part with. Just put out what your 7 year old plays with and make bins of toys from 1-6 or what not you get what I'm saying, if your children are different genders and you aren't going to have more kids you can get rid of anything that is unlikely your youngest will play with but ask your oldest what they liked best and why. I am a girl and loved boy toys so be careful you can save $ saving some... But kids don't need tons of toys trust me, they might enjoy donating or having a yard sale! But once its in the don't keep box it can't come back into your home. Then go through your living/ working/ kitchen spaces and do the same. Put the things from the misplaced box away and organize your toys and crafts and keep clothing in check... This both purges and cleans and organizes your home... We do a cabinet here and there and it keeps things in orderZ and tell well meaning gift givers what you need in advance to any time a gift will appear... Don't need toys or want a specific one same with clothing... I always tell people the next size up of one specific things and not yet hugely age appropriate toys that are still safe for play if we're all set now. So maybe in a few months we won't be and the new stuff can replace the old. Good luck

indigo152 04-27-2013 04:42 PM

^ I love the 3 box idea for decluttering a room! I am going to use this idea myself!!
As for OP, I haven't been sewing much recently, but do have quite a few fabrics and sewing notions. I purged out my least favorite favorite fabrics, and put everything else back into a big plastic storage tub. It is very helpful to have things contained in the one tub. I think it would work great for art supplies, too.

Art mama 04-27-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indigo152
^ I love the 3 box idea for decluttering a room! I am going to use this idea myself!!
As for OP, I haven't been sewing much recently, but do have quite a few fabrics and sewing notions. I purged out my least favorite favorite fabrics, and put everything else back into a big plastic storage tub. It is very helpful to have things contained in the one tub. I think it would work great for art supplies, too.

I'll have to try the precious suggestion too. Sounds like a great method. I recently did that with my fabric. I consolidated 4 tubs of fabric to two and put them under the work benches on the porch to get them out of the way. I still need to organize the patterns and notions. They problem is the sheer amount of art supplies we have between me and my dd. I got rid of two boxes of kids art supplies a couple of months ago.

themamageek 04-28-2013 02:04 AM

If you have the room to do that, it would absolutely help. Anything you don't get out in a month stands for some hard looking over. Purge, then box up what you don't purge and do it again.

moonlightblonde 04-28-2013 08:50 AM

Yep I love the 'sell, donate, trash' boxes =) makes it fast. No second guessing.