Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Making baby food (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151284)

SaraJoTurtle 05-20-2007 03:14 PM

Making baby food

I dont know if this is the right thread or not but I was wondering if any of you make you own baby food. If you do give me some tips. I was just going to blend it up in the food processor and then put it in ice trays and freeze and then pop out the cubes and put in bags. Does that sound good? Thanks!!

trimom 05-20-2007 03:54 PM

Re: Making baby food

That is exactly what I do.

Prunes and dried apricots will still be gummy and sticky and will not freeze solid. Skin everything and wash thoroghly.

To do butternuit squash, I cut it in half, scoop out the yuck, and bake with a little butter until forkable. Then process as normal.

Frozen berries also work wonderfully.

shell62995 05-20-2007 05:51 PM

freezing in ice trays in what i do. But if I know dd is going to eat it in 3 days I leave it in the fridge. I leave the skin on my apples because that is where most of the vitamins are. I also use only organics because the pesticides are very hard for little bodies to process. A lot of moms wont make thier own carrots but I have asked around and read that it is fine just as long as you don't thin it out w/ the water it was steamed in. HTH!

Wishing4 05-20-2007 06:01 PM

I found that if I cook chicken and blend it up and then add some juice that it works pretty good. Not as healthy as fresh but canned is easier. I took Lite canned pears and blended them, then I'd freeze the juice to use with chicken, on cereal, etc.

You might want to check out: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

Mom2Natalya 05-20-2007 06:54 PM

That's exactly what I did. :)

mom22es 05-20-2007 07:41 PM

That's exactly how I made my kiddo's food. After they have been introduced to everything alone, it is really easy. You can just grind up whatever you are eating for dinner and voila! The baby gets to eat the same thing as the rest of the family.

I never bothered to freeze things like avocado and banana. I thought they might freeze funny.

alysia101 05-20-2007 08:56 PM

I like my food processor for big batchs of things. Like when I am stocking up my frozen stuff. I use my blender for smaller batchs. Plus I had a small hand grinder for just like a banana or something. Looks like our LO's are about the same age :) I've been thinking about starting making baby food again. My dd always enjoyed the food I made her. I have a couple baby food cook books that had ideas for foods and how to prepare them. You can also get a ton of good info on line.

Gray's Mommy 05-21-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Natalya (Post 1120452)
That's exactly what I did. :)

:thumbsup:

Mickiswing 05-22-2007 01:33 PM

That's pretty much all you do! Easy stuff!

I really like the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. My kiddles loved her cereal recipes.

I have a food processor for large batches, a small manual baby food grinder for mushy things like bananas or avocadoes and I have a stick blender for whatever we're eating. You really don't need all of that, but I loved it! I'm actually excited to make food for the new baby when it eventually needs it (not even for another year!)

mamabug 05-23-2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell62995 (Post 1120065)
A lot of moms wont make thier own carrots but I have asked around and read that it is fine just as long as you don't thin it out w/ the water it was steamed in. HTH!

Why not do this? I did it that way, now I am paranoid as to why you say not to!! :yuck: