Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Low weight gain:( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513100)

MandaMommy2 04-30-2013 09:15 AM

I though we were doing great, but over the last three months my LO keeps dropping weight percentiles. She was up to the 75th, then the 62nd and now the 50th.

We had our struggles early on...she was born three weeks early in only the 11th percentile and had a poor latch, food allergies, reflux and thrush. I've been telling our Ped that I'm concerned that she won't eat for months now, but they keep brushing me off chalking it up to illness. But why does the baby keep getting sick? I just don't like it and I'm scared. Now they act like if she doesn't gain well in the next month then I'll need to supplement. I just feel so upset and annoyed at the same time. I told them something was wrong and they ignored me until they decided its a problem.

They told me yesterday it's because she's teething. About a month ago she stopped sleeping through the night and got really constipated. They had me discontinue her Prilosec and start miralax. I did that for two weeks, but I finally put my foot down and put her back on the Prilosec because she was miserable and vomiting. I have cut back the miralax because she's been having diarrhea.

I called the lactation consultant at the Ped today but she won't be in until later. She also knows nothing about how PCOS and hypothyroidism effect breastfeeding though. I just started taking fenugreek again and it seems to be helping. The baby totally drenches diapers though I'm not sure if its a quantity issue as quality. How can I increase the fat content of my milk? We're also milk and soy free so my diet is somewhat limited, but I've hardly lost a pound lately so I think I'm eating enough.

Just frustrated. Thanks for your help ladies.

pinktoes 04-30-2013 09:26 AM

Have you met w a lactation consultant?

Both DS and DD jumped percentiles both up and down. Breasted babies tend to do that.
Is your LO losing weight or just taking her time gaining?

MandaMommy2 04-30-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinktoes
Have you met w a lactation consultant?

Both DS and DD jumped percentiles both up and down. Breasted babies tend to do that.
Is your LO losing weight or just taking her time gaining?

Not losing weight, just hardly gaining. Only 4oz this month. I'm hoping now that she's back on the Prilosec she'll start gaining again. I also forgot to mention that she's 8 months and eats about 2-3 oz of solids a day and 2-3 oz of diluted juice.

pinktoes 04-30-2013 09:38 AM

Make sure you nurse long enough on each side. I had the tendency to switch to early
Sometimes it helps to pump for a few minutes, get to the thick stuff before nursing
Sometimes they fill up on the thin and have more reflux issues w that before even getting to the thick.

Did you try probiotics yet?
I would pump a bottle, throw in some baby probiotics and feed it to my DS. He was always my problem nurser. Finally started to gain weight after that

Also, prilisec prevents the stomach from making acid. If you take her off quickly you get a rebound effect, reflux gets worse.

I've shed many a tear over nursing.

Yarnjess 04-30-2013 09:40 AM

Re: Low weight gain:(

Add coconut oil and coconut milk to your diet. It is a concentrated source of calories and quality saturated fats. You can even get coconut milk ice cream and yogurt and it tastes pretty good. Get refined coconut oil and cook in it and add it to everything you can. While there is some debate about how much the mother's diet affects the quality of her milk, it is pretty universally agreed that the fat content is pretty quickly and directly affected.

Edit: You could also add coconut oil to your LO's food. From what my ped said, it's not unusual for babies to drop percentiles around this age. The combination of them being more mobile, the developmental explosion, and starting to eat solids (which are often more filling and less calorie dense than breastmilk) make for slower weight gain. If your ped starts to push supplementing, I'd get a 2nd opinion before doing that. Also, make sure they're using the WHO growth charts.

Van1300 04-30-2013 10:46 AM

My first babe was off the charts failure to thrive and I nursed almost a year. She's a healthy petite 3.5 yr old. My 6 month old is in the 60% and looks like a butterball.

The charts are just a guideline. If they are gaining and going in the right direction, try not to worry!!

MandaMommy2 04-30-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinktoes
Make sure you nurse long enough on each side. I had the tendency to switch to early
Sometimes it helps to pump for a few minutes, get to the thick stuff before nursing
Sometimes they fill up on the thin and have more reflux issues w that before even getting to the thick.

Did you try probiotics yet?
I would pump a bottle, throw in some baby probiotics and feed it to my DS. He was always my problem nurser. Finally started to gain weight after that

Also, prilisec prevents the stomach from making acid. If you take her off quickly you get a rebound effect, reflux gets worse.

I've shed many a tear over nursing.

I have some children's culturel would that work?

I think basically this last month going off the Prilosec was a huge problem. The doctor said it was causing her constipation but after two weeks off it and no change in bowel habits I put her back on it and she's starting to sleep again. Poor baby. I used to be very happy with our Ped, but lately I've been seeing multiple doctors or nurse practitioners and everyone seems to have their own opinion.

tibeca 04-30-2013 11:02 AM

Re: Low weight gain:(

If your Lactation Consultant does NOT understand the affects of hypothyroid and PCOS, please find someone new. There could be many reasons for the slow weight gain. Has she been charted on the WHO growth charts?

MandaMommy2 04-30-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yarnjess
Add coconut oil and coconut milk to your diet. It is a concentrated source of calories and quality saturated fats. You can even get coconut milk ice cream and yogurt and it tastes pretty good. Get refined coconut oil and cook in it and add it to everything you can. While there is some debate about how much the mother's diet affects the quality of her milk, it is pretty universally agreed that the fat content is pretty quickly and directly affected.

Edit: You could also add coconut oil to your LO's food. From what my ped said, it's not unusual for babies to drop percentiles around this age. The combination of them being more mobile, the developmental explosion, and starting to eat solids (which are often more filling and less calorie dense than breastmilk) make for slower weight gain. If your ped starts to push supplementing, I'd get a 2nd opinion before doing that. Also, make sure they're using the WHO growth charts.

Do you know of any coconut ice cream that is soy free? Maybe I could make my own some how. I have virgin unrefined coconut oil. Would that be okay? I wanted to make some energy bars like the Lara coconut cream pie.

I was also thinking I could eat half an avocado. I just started beef again so maybe that will help. It doesn't seem to bother her anymore.

MandaMommy2 04-30-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca
If your Lactation Consultant does NOT understand the affects of hypothyroid and PCOS, please find someone new. There could be many reasons for the slow weight gain. Has she been charted on the WHO growth charts?

I'm not sure if they use the who charts. I know WIC does. I think I'll stop by there tomorrow when I go into town and see what they think.

The doctor office is just ticking me off because they're like well there's always formula when I've been telling them for months something was wrong.

The lactation consultant at the hospital where I delivered didn't know about PCOS & hypothyroidism and their effects on breastfeeding either. I could also contact my local LLL. I haven't been able to go to a meeting yet because it conflicts with my sons Boy Scouts, but they helped me out over the phone when I had thrush.

I wasn't able to successfully breastfeed my son six years ago, but I was very ill; had retained placenta and my hypothyroid was out of control. Now I'm much healthier and my thyroid levels were good as of last month. I'm just worried. We're at 8 months and I wanted to breastfeed her a full 2 years and I fear that we won't make it to 1 year now.