Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Are we getting enough Vit D? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513304)

yankeesundbound 04-30-2013 08:26 PM

Are we getting enough Vit D?

DD is seven months old. Up until 6 months old she pooped maybe once a week, and I was giving her Tri Vi Sol daily. Once she turned 6 months old she started pooping no less than 8 times a day! I have called the pedi multiple times, to be told not to worry if she's happy, hydrated and it's not bloody. :headscratch: Finally DH suggested we stop the Tri Vi Sol in case she is sensitive to the artificial ingredients, and since then she has had less frequent poops. I have started taking 5000 IU a day, along with the glass of milk and carnation breakfast I was already getting... are we good as far as her getting sufficient Vit D? I am a vegetarian if that matters.

krismark0 04-30-2013 10:19 PM

I am no expert, but I read somewhere that 5 minutes of sun exposure on just the face is enough for daily need of vitamin D.

My doctor recommended a supplement, but when I saw it was made by Enfamil I put it back on the shelf and decided it was a ploy and not necessary, lol.

My 3 1/2 yr old was never supplemented, nor was I and we never had issues. I am not a vegetarian though...but sun exposure is what makes the most useful vitamin D.

I say go outside and don't worry about it any more.

fekirby 06-24-2013 06:29 AM

Re: Are we getting enough Vit D?

I am ebf and my midwife has me supplementing with 10000 ius of vit D.

juliasmom 06-24-2013 07:55 AM

Vitamin D is one of the few fat soluble vitamins that don't cross into your milk readily at all. For your baby to get vitamin D , either get out in the sun a little bit or supplement with Carlson D drops (just 1 drop is the dose, it is just vitamin D in vegetable oil.) A blood test for a routine physical will let you know if you are deficient and it's hard to predict. For example, I am not deficient and don't do anything besides eat healthy, take an occasional multivitamin and play outside with my kids, but my DH was deficient and needed Rx supplements even though he has the same diet and spends more time in the sun than me.

Ashlynnray 06-24-2013 09:20 PM

Dr kept bugging me to supplement but I never did. A few minutes outside everyday is all you need. DS is fine and had never had any problems.

kocho 06-25-2013 09:49 PM

I have a hard time with the whole hit. D thing. I here that it tells moms that our milk is not good enough. Not sure if I would do it myself. But I try not to tell my moms that..

yankeesundbound 06-27-2013 06:28 PM

I have been taking a vit D supplement myself, in addition to my multivitamin. I also found a supplement drop for DD at my local health food store and have been giving it to her for several weeks with no issues. It's expensive, but I feel better about it.

mommamcnaught 06-28-2013 10:14 AM

Ped prescribed LO Tri-vi-sol and he reacted so terribly to it as newborn that we stopped it. I didn't supplment ODS and we had no issues. I'm of the school of trying to get in the sun everyday.