Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   "I want booby..." (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513364)

MamaLump 05-01-2013 06:40 AM

"I want booby..."

My son will be 2 in a little over a week. He has been weaned since about 19 months, when pregnancy caused my milk to dry up. However, we have recently been reading books about a having a new baby in the house (I'm 34 weeks) and talk about how the baby doesn't eat sandwiches, apples, or bananas, (DS's favorite foods), only drinks milk from Mommy. Or as he says: Eats booby. :-). Anyway, recently he has been saying, "I want booby." So, I offer, even though there is only colostrum. However, only occasionally does he even put his mouth on me. He usually just says, "No booby." "Or, all done booby." Or, "Other booby" (which he also rejects), every now and then he will but my breast in his mouth, but he doesn't know how to latch. Does anybody else have experience with this, and most importantly, what happened when the new baby arrived? When my milk comes in you think he will figure out the latching again, do you think there will be jealousy issues if he can't? This has been on my mind late
as I am trying to get together a good list of activities to keep an active 2 yr old happy while nursing the newbie.

mibarra 05-01-2013 08:04 AM

I would always just tell mine we have to save the milk for baby, and they are too big for mommys milk, but I wasn't interested in tandem nursing or allowing nursing again after they were weaned, so don't know what I would do in you situation :)

Pixi6s 05-01-2013 09:33 AM

Re: "I want booby..."

So have no experience with this but your question caught my attention. If you told him that it's for the baby I would think there would be less jealousy potential than if you let him keep trying and not succeeding.... just trying to think like a 2 year old.

MDever 05-01-2013 09:48 AM

I have tandem nursed 3 times and when a LO asks to nurse after weaning I would just assume that they are checking to make sure they still can. I don't know that I have ever heard of a kid that actually picks up again after months of being weaned. I am sure there are a few that have but they are the exception not the rule. He has a lot of changes right now growing in to a big brother:goodvibes: If you are comfortable with him nursing again I say let him. If not just kindly remind him that we have to save the milk for the baby in your tummy and offer snuggles instead.

k&kmomrn 05-18-2013 10:07 AM

Usually they forget how to latch and eventually lose interest.

gingerpeachee 05-18-2013 01:14 PM

He just wants to know that you would give it to him if her really wanted it.