Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   5 days before milk with previous births.. Doomed to repeat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513932)

RebekahG77 05-02-2013 10:25 PM

5 days before milk with previous births.. Doomed to repeat?

Hey ladies!
I'm gearing for baby #3 due in a few weeks here! I was hoping for some insight as to my milk coming in. With both previous babes, my milk came in on day 5. The wait was awful. With my son, he was supplemented from the beginning. He was in the NICU, I had all kinds of complications, and I always wondered if the combo of his issues and mine resulted in the delay.

Then when my daughter was born, neither she nor I had complications, but it still took 5 days. Do you think it'll be the same this time around? I am planning a natural birth this time, whereas I had an epi with the first 2. Any thoughts?

greengranny 05-02-2013 11:13 PM

Re: 5 days before milk with previous births.. Doomed to repeat?

Nurse immediately after birth and as often as you can for as long as you can. Also, offer nothing by mouth other than the breast - no pacifiers, bottles, nothing.

If you have a natural birth, you may find you have a newborn who is much more awake and alert that will nurse more aggressively from the beginning.

You could also stimulate with a pump if baby is a bit lazy or sleepy.

If for any reason you would wind up having to offer any supplementation, use a dropper and try giving your own colostrum (if you've pumped). Even if you should have to use formula for some reason, I'd still offer it with a dropper so baby doesn't get lazy at the breast.

mibarra 05-03-2013 08:39 AM

My milk cane in faster with #3. 2.5 days instead of 5 like the first two :)!

l_Kimmie_l 05-03-2013 08:44 AM

My milk came in faster with #3 and #4 than with #1 and #2. I got it the day after birthing with #4. You just never know. Keep baby on the boob as much as possible.

Heather8183 05-03-2013 08:59 AM

I need to come back and read this...mine took 5 days with my first 2 as well...makes me nervous with twins on the way!

snugglesnsunshine 05-03-2013 10:35 AM

Nurse within the first hour after birth, and every 2 hours the first couple of days.
Also, fennel, geranium, and clary sage essential oils will all bring milk in faster. Just be sure to buy 100% pure therapetic grade.:thumbsup:

Besides my first, mine always comes in by day 3.

twinpossible 05-03-2013 11:30 AM

Benn there too mama, here is what helped with this one. Milk came in on day 2.

- I pumped 15 min. on and 15 min. off for an hour for 3 days before I went into labor. I got colostrum on day 2 and saved it just in case. Save this for 39+ weeks because it can put you into labor!
- I did placenta encapsulation and started taking them on day 3.
- I nursed right after birth and on demand after that
- I ate foods to help with milk production like oatmeal
- I drank tons of raspberry leaf tea and Mothers Milk tea

Good luck mama :)

cbreeding 05-03-2013 03:37 PM

Pain medication can delay your milk coming in as well as IV fluids. It can interfere with the release of hormones which signals your body to make milk. Not everyone will experience it but it is a potential side effect.

Have the baby at the breast as often as possible. Either actively suckling or just lying skin to skin.

dvrgrl38 05-03-2013 05:05 PM

With my twins they had me pump ever 3hrs. They got the colostrum via syringe and I got to nurse as much as possible too.

FrozenBooty 05-03-2013 11:26 PM

I also expressed before Paxton was born saved the colostrum in little colostrum vials to give him to help his blood sugars after birth. Let me know if you want a tiny vial or two to fill I have hundreds and they are less daunting to fill than even a 1-2oz container when your expressing 5-8 drops at a time.

Anything you can express by hand is fine after 34 weeks just don't stimulate the nipple area too much.

After 39 weeks you can use a pump.

My milk came in on day 3.5-4 instead of day 5-6 like previous pregnancies this was my third.

I also pumped and syringe fed in the hospital whenever baby was sleepy.