Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help me teach my daughter good 'wiping' habits. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1514128)

Tina5834 05-03-2013 04:19 PM

Help me teach my daughter good 'wiping' habits.

She doesn't wipe very good when she pees. Se is constantly getting rashes where her labia touch each other. She screams that it hurts. She won't let us out cream or lotion in it to relieve pain. I fit want to force her to let me because I don't want her to give in and think its 'okay' for people to force her to do that. Kwim? Anyways, give me some ideas.

I have bought her the cute big kid princess wipes but she just screams. The doctor told me that I just need to make her wipe. Well, a 2yo is pretty strong headed.

Leiiki 05-03-2013 04:36 PM

Two is way too young to be wiping herself. You need to wipe her, and let her help if she can. My 3yo has been PLed since 25m, but I still wipe her to make sure she is clean and dry. Just like brushing teeth - they should be able to mimic the action, but you need to do a pass for effective cleaning.

s@hmommy 05-03-2013 04:39 PM

Re: Help me teach my daughter good 'wiping' habits.

I still have to wipe my 5 yo sometimes, I think she may still need help.

Tina5834 05-03-2013 04:41 PM

Yes, she does need help but she won't let us. She just screams. Is it appropriate to just hold her arms down and wipe her? That's what we've been Doing.

s@hmommy 05-03-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaDeanette (Post 16560333)
Yes, she does need help but she won't let us. She just screams. Is it appropriate to just hold her arms down and wipe her? That's what we've been Doing.

I don't see it any differently than holding down my 2 yo when I change his diapers. Isn't 2 a fun age?!:banghead:

Jen's_4 05-03-2013 04:46 PM

I would probably tell her that "mommy needs to help you until you show me you can do a good job on your own." I would let her wipe every time, with a bit of guidance if she needs it, then do a follow up for her. At two I wouldn't think it wouldn't take her long to teach her proper wiping--for pee, anyway.

SaraElise 05-03-2013 04:47 PM

What would you do if she wasn't potty trained and you had to wipe her during a diaper change? Same thing to me until she is old enough to do it herself.

My 2 year old likes to try to wipe herself, but I still help her. I'm sure it's just become something to battle over at this point, and probably hurts from the irritation, I would let her try and then help her letting her know that you are making sure she is all clean so she won't get ouchies anymore.

Leiiki 05-03-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaDeanette

Hard to explain, but slide one arm under her arms to lift her toward you, then reach under with the other arm to wipe. So reach under from the back but wipe front to back, if that makes sense. If she is rashy, put some coconut oil on TP or a cloth for a second wipe.

beckyc 05-03-2013 04:50 PM

I suspect there's more going on...I doubt if ineffective wiping is causing the rashes. Maybe UTI? She's obviously not going to wipe since it hurts.

Like PP, I also feel like 2 is too young to expect a proper wipe fm. Maybe she's wiping very roughly? Ouch..dont even like the thought of it.

Cloth wipes? I use cloth for my 2.4mos old dd2....

I understand your feelings on not forcing her... having two girls myself, such a see-saw it is!

Maybe have her sleep without undies and you apply the lotion while she's in her deepest sleep? (that almost sounds crude, but you gotta do what you gotta do!)

Or apply the cream as you are about to head out to her fave place? Most kids are willing to be their sweetest selves when they are giddy about going out.

happysmileylady 05-03-2013 04:52 PM

My 4 yr old finally potty trained last summer, but we are still working on wiping. And Flushing. She forgets both. I am constantly reminding her, usually llike twice while she's still IN the bathroom. And if I happen to be in the bathroom with her, I will often have her do it a second time, sometimes doing it for her/showing her how.