Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Losing weight and breastfeeding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1514705)

satorifound 05-05-2013 10:30 PM

Losing weight and breastfeeding

My little guy is 3.5 months old now and I am sick of the weight. I was very thin before pregnancy but gained a LOT of weight. More than in any pregnancy yet. I don't fit in any of my old clothes and just feel so icky in clothing. I recently cut down on my eating but when I pump at work I am not getting as much milk. I was getting more than he needed. I went from about 21 ounces in a 12 hour shift to maybe 15 last night. Last night was a bad night though and I was really busy so couldn't pump as often. The night before that I think it was 17 ounces. So down 4 ounces. I am drinking lots of water and I am keeping to the minimum calories recommended for a breastfeeding woman. What can I do to boost supply besides eating more?

twinpossible 05-06-2013 01:08 PM

Re: Losing weight and breastfeeding

Lactation foods like irish oatmeal, flax seed and brewers yeast will help. There are also supplements like fenugreek and more milk plus.

l_Kimmie_l 05-06-2013 01:48 PM

I would try Fenugreek or Mother's Milk tea. Both work well.

Van1300 05-06-2013 08:03 PM

Don't cut out calories, just eat better! Stay away from sugar and junk food. Try to eat healthy whole grains, lean protein, and good fats like avocados and nuts.

I am ravenous pumping and nursing my 6 month old guy. I've lost 25 lbs. I eat like a house. But I always start my day with a bowl of oatmeal and end it with a cup of tea. I'm also running 6-8 miles a week and will be doing a half marathon in November, so I'm burning a lot of calories.

l_Kimmie_l 05-07-2013 06:21 AM

I did cut calories as I cannot work out. Just be sure to drink plenty of water.

keonli 05-07-2013 12:18 PM

Are you keeping hydrated? Also, make sure you are eating lots of protein and vegetables, not just cutting calories by eating less while consuming foods that are not nutritious.

tracyleigh00 05-08-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van1300 (Post 16570364)
Don't cut out calories, just eat better! Stay away from sugar and junk food. Try to eat healthy whole grains, lean protein, and good fats like avocados and nuts.

I am ravenous pumping and nursing my 6 month old guy. I've lost 25 lbs. I eat like a house. But I always start my day with a bowl of oatmeal and end it with a cup of tea. I'm also running 6-8 miles a week and will be doing a half marathon in November, so I'm burning a lot of calories.

How do you work out some much and not decrease your supply? I can lightly to moderately work out but if I try to get back into my regular routine(much more intense work out routine) the milk supply goes down.

satorifound 05-08-2013 01:44 PM

I definitely got out the crappy foods. I think junk foods are a waste of calories. I am just one of those who tends to hold onto weight while breastfeeding. Blah. My hubby makes me yummy nutritious meals. :)