Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Will my body get used to this new pump? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1514767)

keonli 05-06-2013 08:10 AM

Will my body get used to this new pump?

I received an Ameda Purely Yours and have been using it these past few days. It takes me double the time to get the same amount of milk I did with my former pump, a Medela PISA. The very first time I used the PY, it took me half an hour to get a decent letdown! Will my body get used to this pump or should I switch back to a PISA?

mariannec32 05-06-2013 04:06 PM

I'm not sure, just adding I had the same problem with a hospital grade Ameda Platinum. I can get more faster with my 7 year old PIS!

keonli 05-07-2013 08:26 AM

Re: Will my body get used to this new pump?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariannec32 (Post 16569593)
I'm not sure, just adding I had the same problem with a hospital grade Ameda Platinum. I can get more faster with my 7 year old PIS!

My PISA was almost 6 years old so I switched. It takes me 20 minutes to get 3 oz, and I usually get that amount in half the time with my PISA. I've never had more than 4-5 oz per pumping session. I'm playing around with the speed and suction but I guess I just like the PISA better. Thanks for your reply!

evasimone 05-07-2013 10:14 AM

I had the same issue. Their instruction booklet says to start suction low and speed high. When you get a let down increase suction and decrease the speed. Once I started doing that I responded a lot better.

keonli 05-07-2013 10:33 AM

^^Thanks! Mine only came with an instructional video and I haven't had time to watch it.

ETA: I played around with the settings like you had suggested. I got an oz from each side, but my right side is still a bit hard after 20 minutes. This pump is not working for me at all. I stopped to do breast compressions, then restarted and my right side is still hard. I'm frustrated, which isn't helping matters.

evasimone 05-07-2013 02:36 PM

Hmmm... Is it the first day you've used it? I've used three different pumps and with all of them their has been a few days where my body is adjusting to the new pump and I don't pump as much.

keonli 05-08-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evasimone (Post 16572642)
Hmmm... Is it the first day you've used it? I've used three different pumps and with all of them their has been a few days where my body is adjusting to the new pump and I don't pump as much.

This was my 3rd day, and i pump up to 4 times a day. I had to get a manual pump after work because my boobs were rock hard! After 10 mins of pumping one side with the manual, I got 3 oz out! This isn't the pump for me. I was able to explain my issues to the medical supply store and they let me get a hygenia enjoye, which seems to work much better.

mariannec32 05-08-2013 10:40 PM

Yep, I am the exact same with Ameda for whatever reason. I can get a letdown no problem but for some reason it doesn't seem to empty me at all. I gave it a week, even trying the method Evasimone mentioned but it did not work out for me at all.

Glad you figured it out and got something that works.

keonli 05-09-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariannec32 (Post 16577635)
Yep, I am the exact same with Ameda for whatever reason. I can get a letdown no problem but for some reason it doesn't seem to empty me at all. I gave it a week, even trying the method Evasimone mentioned but it did not work out for me at all.

Glad you figured it out and got something that works.

Glad it's not just me! I know some people love this pump, and I'm a bit sad I can't share their enthusiasm.