Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Couch to 5K anyone? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1514862)

ashliemh 05-06-2013 01:52 PM

Couch to 5K anyone?

Hi ladies :) I am looking to get in shape for our vacation this summer and I am planning to do the couch to 5k program. I am going to speed it up a little bit, doing it six days a week, instead of 3, so that I can be done with it in 4-5 weeks. My goal is to look and feel better, and to try and lose 5-10 lbs. Right now I weigh 142.4 (just weighed myself :giggle:) I plan to weigh myself every Monday :)

Would anyone want to join me and help keep each other accountable? :thumbsup:

NotLad 05-06-2013 02:42 PM

Re: Couch to 5K anyone?

Start following the program as is and then add in workouts as your body adjusts. By doubling up, you're going to get hurt or frustrated - and then you'll end up quitting.

keonli 05-06-2013 02:45 PM

You do need your rest days if you are just starting out. If you have run before, then you can skip the first few weeks, which is what I have done this time around.

ashliemh 05-06-2013 02:55 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies :) I have been running, just somewhat inconsistently :blush: and thought that by doing it this way and having a plan to follow I would do a better job of being consistent. I did the first day today and it was really easy...maybe I will think about skipping ahead instead of doubling up. How far ahead did you skip Keonli?

Thanks again for the input :)

knodceo 05-06-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotLad
Start following the program as is and then add in workouts as your body adjusts. By doubling up, you're going to get hurt or frustrated - and then you'll end up quitting.

This!

And focus on your diet as well. I would look into other running programs...google run a 5k in x number of weeks and you will see results.

keonli 05-06-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashliemh (Post 16569153)
Thanks for the advice ladies :) I have been running, just somewhat inconsistently :blush: and thought that by doing it this way and having a plan to follow I would do a better job of being consistent. I did the first day today and it was really easy...maybe I will think about skipping ahead instead of doubling up. How far ahead did you skip Keonli?

Thanks again for the input :)

Have you ever done a 5k before, or at least been able to run a little over 3 miles? I've done several in the past, and then when I became pregnant in 2012, my sciatica forced me to stop running. I had my baby in early December and took up running again in March. I skipped straight ahead to week 6 of workout 2 (you can find it on this chart).

If you are not a runner normally, you honestly do need your body to recover. Pushing yourself too much can result in injuries like shin splints, which are super painful. Most people do feel like week 1 is super easy, but then have a tough time with week 5 of workout 1.

I do give myself rest days from running still, but engage in other types of work outs to stay active.

keen1981 05-06-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knodceo

This!

And focus on your diet as well. I would look into other running programs...google run a 5k in x number of weeks and you will see results.

Yes. Limit your carbs, to a modest amount. Eat high value fruits and veggies! More veggies than fruit.

ashliemh 05-06-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knodceo (Post 16569168)
This!

Ohh, good idea! thanks for the tip...I was trying to make the Couch to 5K fit into my time frame, but it makes much more sense to look it up that way :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by keonli (Post 16569181)
Have you ever done a 5k before, or at least been able to run a little over 3 miles? I've done several in the past, and then when I became pregnant in 2012, my sciatica forced me to stop running. I had my baby in early December and took up running again in March. I skipped straight ahead to week 6 of workout 2 (you can find it on this chart).

If you are not a runner normally, you honestly do need your body to recover. Pushing yourself too much can result in injuries like shin splints, which are super painful. Most people do feel like week 1 is super easy, but then have a tough time with week 5 of workout 1.

I do give myself rest days from running still, but engage in other types of work outs to stay active.

Oh yes, I have definitely run quite a bit in the past. The farthest I have done is 11 miles, but it has definitely been awhile since I have done that. I ran competitively in college and before having kids, and while I am definitely not even remotely close to being in that kind of shape, I do feel like I know my body pretty well. I was kind of thinking that since the beginning of the program is more walking than running, that it would be ok to do it 5-6 days a week, if that makes any sense. You make a good point about not overdoing it, though, and I really appreciate your input! :thumbsup:

Just curious, what kinds of things do you like to do for your days off running? Feel free to inspire me :goodvibes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16569188)
Yes. Limit your carbs, to a modest amount. Eat high value fruits and veggies! More veggies than fruit.

Thanks for the tip!!

savingmomof2boys 05-06-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashliemh (Post 16569346)

Ohh, good idea! thanks for the tip...I was trying to make the Couch to 5K fit into my time frame, but it makes much more sense to look it up that way :)

Oh yes, I have definitely run quite a bit in the past. The farthest I have done is 11 miles, but it has definitely been awhile since I have done that. I ran competitively in college and before having kids, and while I am definitely not even remotely close to being in that kind of shape, I do feel like I know my body pretty well. I was kind of thinking that since the beginning of the program is more walking than running, that it would be ok to do it 5-6 days a week, if that makes any sense. You make a good point about not overdoing it, though, and I really appreciate your input! :thumbsup:

Just curious, what kinds of things do you like to do for your days off running? Feel free to inspire me :goodvibes:

Thanks for the tip!!

I agree with what everyone else has posted about rest days. Even if you were a runner before, you need to take it slowly so your body can adjust. If C25K starts to slow for you then just try your own run/walk intervals, but stick to no more then 4 days a week of running. I have been running for over a year now and still only do 4 days a week. Once I run my marathon in June I will be adding a 5th day of running but will still start slowly with the distances.

On your non-running days you can do some walking and strength training.

ashliemh 05-06-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savingmomof2boys (Post 16569419)
I agree with what everyone else has posted about rest days. Even if you were a runner before, you need to take it slowly so your body can adjust. If C25K starts to slow for you then just try your own run/walk intervals, but stick to no more then 4 days a week of running. I have been running for over a year now and still only do 4 days a week. Once I run my marathon in June I will be adding a 5th day of running but will still start slowly with the distances.

On your non-running days you can do some walking and strength training.

Thanks mama! And good luck with your marathon, that is AWESOME!!