Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Can someone explain drop side crib dangers to me? And should I just buy a new one? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1515334)

evasimone 05-08-2013 08:06 AM

Can someone explain drop side crib dangers to me? And should I just buy a new one?

I bought a bedroom set for DD from a coworker. It's a very nice oak set and he threw in the matching crib that converts to a toddler bed for free. It's a drop side crib and at the time I wasn't concerned but now that I actually have dd I am afraid to put her in it. In fact she's 4 months old and never been in it. :blush:

I have googled and I just can't find a simple explanation for why they are unsafe. Can someone explain it to me?

Do you all think I should just purchase a different one?

mibarra 05-08-2013 08:21 AM

The problem I heard was the bottom of the drop side coming loose, causing children to slide between the side and the mattress and get injured or suffocate.

I have one from DD1 and the companies "fix" was to send us clips to prevent the side from moving, turning it into a fixed side.

escapethevillage 05-08-2013 08:21 AM

Re: Can someone explain drop side crib dangers to me? And should I just buy a new one

I think there is a part you can buy to make is safer. From what I learned, it's not the fact that it drops. The danger is, that the bottom part can open up and the baby can fall out and get caught between the mattress and rails.

http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2010/12...s-who-to-call/

There are other ways to immobilize the crib by yourself too.

GreenHome Sewing 05-08-2013 08:41 AM

Re: Can someone explain drop side crib dangers to me? And should I just buy a new one

Not all drop sides are evil, but not all were created equal (thus the decision to discontinue making them.)
There were several design/manufacture flaws to be concerned about:
broken/missing parts
the drop side hardware breaking or coming detached from the crib (mostly happened with the plastic hardware, not metal)
the mattress support failing/breaking
less than simple instructions for assembly
and much older cribs may have had too wide spacing between mattress or crib slats

You can check online to see if your crib has ever had recalls or any safety kits designed after production. There are websites such as the Consumer Product Safety Commission, or the website of the manufacturer. You can also call the manufacturer.
Some cribs were simply given a "repair" kit. This should be shipped to you free of charge should you choose to keep the crib.

I have, and would continue to use, a drop side crib providing that there were no major recalls involved for that particular model. I am a person that feels I have a good grasp of common sense in safety and understands how to assemble things per manufacturer directions, but not everyone shares the same qualities.
So, personally Mama, I would contact the manufacturer so you understand the safety history with this crib. If it all checks out ok, I would personally use it, but that is your call to make. I also check for recalls on ALL used baby gear, not just cribs. Uniform precautions.

GreenHome Sewing 05-08-2013 08:46 AM

And from what a PP mentioned, there are other ways to use or re-purpose the crib.
If the model allows, it could be save to use as a toddler, day, or adult bed.
Some cribs I understand could be placed like a side-car to your bed.
I have seen a lot of projects online on how to re-purpose cribs. Make them into shelves, furniture, child forts, etc. if you or a family member is handy like that.

kinderreruns 05-08-2013 08:53 AM

There is also user error by leaving the side down with sleeping baby. If baby awaked and the side could move baby parts can get stuck in moving side parts - not good. Other user errors include using it when there are loose, worn, and broken parts. User error often causes all to go without. Like "walkers" with users that thought these were great to use on second floors, by steps, yards by road unattended and by bodies of water.

I happen to LOVE drop side cribs for the ease of putting in a sleepong baby. My old ones were very sturdy. Infact, they had thicker side rails and stayed together better (the need to tighten) than the DaVinci Emily crib I am currently using. Like all baby products, inspect for loose parts on occasion along with too much wear and broken parts mean to the curb. If any crib is in poor shape, wobbley etc do not use it regardless of drop sides.

Ashsmama 05-08-2013 08:56 AM

I have a drop side but I think its been "fixed" because I've never been able to drop the side. I got it at a garage sale about 3 years ago. Two of my babies have used it and I've never had any issues.
I genuinely don't understand how a baby can get stuck between the side and mattress (again, I'm genuinely confused)? There is no space between the side and mattress in my crib.

SaraElise 05-08-2013 09:55 AM

I would look into the recall for it, in our case, it was recalled completely, not just for the drop down side so we got store credit from Target for the original price ($150) and were able to get a brand new crib.

We didn't even purchase it since it was a gift, all we needed to do was bring in the crib and my drivers license (they needed that just to issue the gift card) and that was that. So it's worth at least looking into IMO

sisu 05-08-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escapethevillage (Post 16574763)
I think there is a part you can buy to make is safer. From what I learned, it's not the fact that it drops. The danger is, that the bottom part can open up and the baby can fall out and get caught between the mattress and rails.

I think the dropping action itself has been a problem too - babies have kicked the sides down and gotten limbs caught, or fallen out after the side is down.

badmisterkitty 05-08-2013 09:58 AM

I, too, use a drop side crib now and in the past. I cannot figure out how it would move or break or detach or anything like that. It just doesn't make sense as I sit and stare at it looking for failure points. The sides slide up and down on metal rods and the dropping mechanism is underneath and requires that you manipulate it a certain way to make it drop.

I love drop side cribs. I'm tall, and even I find it hard to put a baby into the crib with the side all the way up.