Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Disposable Inserts (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1516732)

mamacita1222 05-13-2013 01:58 PM

Disposable Inserts

I'm toying with the idea of using disposable inserts and covers instead of dragging my prefolds on vacation with me this summer. Are the disposable inserts as absorbent as a prefold? I change DS every 2-3 hours during the day and use a hemp doubler at night (10-12 hours). Also which brand is best? I have easy access to grovia's biosoakets but I guess I could order flips disposable inserts on cotton babies.com with free shipping. Any favorites?tia!

WannaBeGreen2011 05-13-2013 02:31 PM

I just tried the Flip inserts on my 15 month old this weekend. I can't say I hated them, but certainly I wouldn't use them again if I didn't have to. We had two or three leaks and normally have none. They just don't sit still well. He's up and running all the time and they shift and bunch up. The times he leaked, they were squished up in the crotch of the cover. I changed him every hour while he was in the stroller and he did fine so if you have a non-mobile child or will be sitting still it might work better. We doubled them up for nighttime and used a wool cover over the cover and were okay.

He's not a heavy wetter and was drinking less than usual. I imagine if he was drinking his normal amounts we might have had more leaks but as it was it was fine. It was $6 for 18 inserts and we do have some left, but I can't imagine using them again. Maybe doubled up if we're traveling and he's sitting still but I would have rather brought my flats and dealt with three day old pee when I got home. /:

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.

srw.mutter 05-13-2013 03:29 PM

Re: Disposable Inserts

I used the grovia biosoakers... leaks galore, I wouldn't use any disposable inserts again. We started using disposables on vacation (mostly international so didn't want the extra weight of carrying all the diapers) and it is soooo much easier, especially if you don't have easy accessible to laundry facilities

dagmomma 05-13-2013 06:50 PM

G diaper inserts are probably the best of the disposable inserts imo

RockinLou 05-13-2013 07:15 PM

I think it depends entirely on what covers you plan to use and how old your child is.

I love GroVia BioSoakers because they have gussets and a waterproof backing, so I can use them and re-use the same shell (or cover) over and over again all day. I don't get leaks or shifting with them but I do size down my covers, so when DS was on the lowest rise with cloth, I used his newborn covers, when he is on the middle rise of my shells, I snap them down to the lowest rise and they hold in place much better and I never get leaks because they are right up snug against him. It is definitely a different fit than prefolds. (oh, and don't use the sticky tabs on exposed PUL)

I haven't used flips in eons and eons and a fried recently gave me some m/l gDiapers when her son PLed. I don't like either for during the day as they shift in covers other than the GroVia shell, and if I use them in there I can't reuse the shell because it is always wet ... the only advantage is that they can easily be doubled for nights. 2 gDIaper inserts in our WonderWrap at night is guaranteed leak free. I don't think a BioSoaker would get us through the night anymore, sadly.

SaraElise 05-13-2013 07:36 PM

I used Grovia biosoakers and AI2 shells for a week on vacation when my DD was 5 months old. We had 0 leaks, even overnight it was awesome! I found them to be pretty absorbent she she was SOAKING other diapers at night (not leaking, but waking up soaking wet) and we didn't have any leaks in these.

I plan to use them again this summer on vacation with our new baby.

MomBecks 05-13-2013 07:59 PM

I didn't like Flips disposable inserts but have really liked both gdiaper and Grovia! For nights I use a gdiaper laid inside a GroVia insert. They hold but you do need a trim fitting cover like Grovia (my fave).

MoniMami80 05-13-2013 08:03 PM

I just ordered some biosoakers. Want to try them out to see if they will work for us to use on a mini vacation coming up in June. *Hoping they work out!

Lisa921 05-13-2013 08:28 PM

I prefer gDiaper inserts in Flip covers for vacations. I use Honest sposies for the gym daycare and those work well too. Neither option is cheap though.

fuzzynoodle 05-14-2013 04:05 AM

I have used them all! We use biososkers and GroVia shells for daycare as we cannot do full cloth. They are pretty good, about as reliable as a sposie, and the teachers like them because the system is super easy.

I use Flips at home when needed. My son had a urological procedure on Friday, so I've been using them off and on along with prefolds. I used them yesterday because LO hadn't pooped in 3 days, and I new trouble was coming. And I was right. 3 poops that would change your religion. Fully contained!! Some for on the cover, but who cares at that point. Never had a leak or blowout with Flips.

Never loved gDiapers because they feel so rough.