Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Can I ask a dumb question? Seriously, I need advice with this! Is it a dumb question? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1517103)

ajane 05-14-2013 09:45 PM

Can I ask a dumb question? Seriously, I need advice with this! Is it a dumb question?

Ok, so I'm running in a 5K race this Saturday through our local school district. I originally was going to be the only one running as dh has done his share of races and I'm finally able to run again after my shattered ankle. Now, of course this is through the school district so DD1 who is 9 is hearing from friends who are going to walk it. I talked to one of my friends who has dd's the same age as my oldest 2.....9 and 7 years old. She said my older 2 girls can walk with them as they are going to just walk as a family. Fine, perfect! But, dd1 wants to try to run/walk it and my friends family is going to be just walking. It isn't an option for dh to run with her b/c we don't have a 2 person jogging stroller and he doesn't really want to jog with the younger 2. AND, the biggest reason he wants to be able to be on the sidelines and cheer me on as I'm trying to get a really good time and even, possibly...win my age group.

So, for my dumb question...is it ok to let her run/walk by herself? I mean, she isn't of age to be left alone and knowing that dh and I won't have our eyes on her the entire time really freaks me out, but she is going to be amongst tons of people and all amongst our school friends. I think I'm overreacting and it will be fine. Dh will be watching and seeing us at least 4 points along the course and when I finish I'm going to double back and finish the rest with her. Heck, this could be my motivation to really run fast, lol. :giggle2: What do you guys think?

abunchoflemons 05-14-2013 10:02 PM

Re: Can I ask a dumb question? Seriously, I need advice with this! Is it a dumb quest

Do you live in small town? Is it a big race turnout? we have a few really big ones here and I wouldn't let my 8 but if it is a smaller run then yes as long as someone/ people could help watch. I have other issues as to my over-protectiveness though. If I lived in smaller town then yes I would be fine with what you suggest.

raymark 05-14-2013 10:03 PM

Re: Can I ask a dumb question? Seriously, I need advice with this! Is it a dumb quest

From my experience, children have partners who keep pace with the child. My oldest daughters who are 18 & 20 still only enter with very similarily paced partners.

luvsviola 05-14-2013 10:07 PM

I would not let my 9 year old do a 5K alone. I run 5Ks, but that is a long way, and if she fell or got hurt, she may or may not know anyone around her.

keen1981 05-14-2013 10:09 PM

Yes! Let her!!! She will do great! Are you a good runner? If you finish before her, you will be right there. If not, tell her to stand right at the finish.

ajane 05-14-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons (Post 16594860)
Do you live in small town? Is it a big race turnout? we have a few really big ones here and I wouldn't let my 8 but if it is a smaller run then yes as long as someone/ people could help watch. I have other issues as to my over-protectiveness though. If I lived in smaller town then yes I would be fine with what you suggest.

Errr...not exactly a small town. But we are it is a district community. The course is only up & down 2 roads all near the middle school where the race begins and ends. Both roads will have spectators and volunteers....all the shools bands will perform and they will have multiple water stops with volunteers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymark (Post 16594863)
From my experience, children have partners who keep pace with the child. My oldest daughters who are 18 & 20 still only enter with very similarily paced partners.

No, she is planning on doing it on her own. She was originally going to walk with her friend and her family, but she wants to run some of it. I actually never run with anyone, I don't like it. :giggle2:

ajane 05-14-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 16594874)
I would not let my 9 year old do a 5K alone. I run 5Ks, but that is a long way, and if she fell or got hurt, she may or may not know anyone around her.

I'm pretty sure she won't fall. She isn't planning on running the whole thing, but as much as she can. I'm not worried about the distance as she is a swimmer and in really good shape. She has also done many 8+ mile hikes in the Smokey's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16594880)
Yes! Let her!!! She will do great! Are you a good runner? If you finish before her, you will be right there. If not, tell her to stand right at the finish.

Thanks! I wouldn't say I'm good, lol. I just do it and I'm a pretty competitive person so I'm hoping to run under an 8 min mile pace. I will finish before her for sure and I'm planning on running back to meet up with her and do the rest with her. Besides, dh will be able to see her at 4 different points on the course and will be at the finish line as well.

keen1981 05-14-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajane

I'm pretty sure she won't fall. She isn't planning on running the whole thing, but as much as she can. I'm not worried about the distance as she is a swimmer and in really good shape. She has also done many 8+ mile hikes in the Smokey's.

Thanks! I wouldn't say I'm good, lol. I just do it and I'm a pretty competitive person so I'm hoping to run under an 8 min mile pace. I will finish before her for sure and I'm planning on running back to meet up with her and do the rest with her. Besides, dh will be able to see her at 4 different points on the course and will be at the finish line as well.

As someone who runs and will nurture the desire to do so in my children I say YES!!!! Reading 'the last child in the woods' is a great read for independence growth in our children! I will be thrilled when my kids can do it! My friends 5yr old twins run 5k family fun runs all the time! It's a blast! Make a plan. A 5k will be an awesome memory!

Sarah-B 05-14-2013 10:24 PM

I say yes let her run. Also tell her not to talk to strangers, give her your cell phone so she can call daddy if she needs him since you will be running.

That is wonderful she wants to run it!!

jessnic 05-14-2013 10:42 PM

You could do what my friend does for our fun run 5ks for her older two. (10 and 12) and writes their name and her cell phone on the hem on their shirts. Then we just meet them at the finish line (the beat us last time lol). But that's on a military base in a huge family friendly event. There are enough parents present no child is in any danger for any amount of time.