Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Introducing baby to dogs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1517346)

alyxmegan 05-15-2013 09:10 PM

Any tips? In have 2 boxers and its my first baby. I am a month away from the due date and have taught my dogs not to jump, to walk on the leash, to be calm in the babies room and to not get on furniture without permission. They also have kennels as a safe spot that we do not lock.
What else do I need to do? How did you introduce your dogs to baby?
I was thinking of having DH bring the dogs with to pick me up at the hospital. They are the most calm in the car and it is also "neutral ground"

Leiiki 05-15-2013 09:41 PM

I would look into whether your local humane society or a parenting group offers a pet-adjustment class. There's one here that is really well done and helped my friend get her very spoiled "only child" ready to be a doggie big sister.

I wouldn't have them in the car when you come home, I would have your DH bring a blanket smelling of you and baby to the house, let them get used to that, and then slowly introduce them in person.

I will warn you: be prepared to make major adjustments if they aren't accepting - some dogs are not able to cope and you might need to decide whether they need to have professional obedience training, become outdoor dogs or even find a new home without children.

alyxmegan 05-15-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiiki
I would look into whether your local humane society or a parenting group offers a pet-adjustment class. There's one here that is really well done and helped my friend get her very spoiled "only child" ready to be a doggie big sister.

I wouldn't have them in the car when you come home, I would have your DH bring a blanket smelling of you and baby to the house, let them get used to that, and then slowly introduce them in person.

I will warn you: be prepared to make major adjustments if they aren't accepting - some dogs are not able to cope and you might need to decide whether they need to have professional obedience training, become outdoor dogs or even find a new home without children.

Thanks!! My older dog is good with kids so I'm hoping she will adjust well. The younger one is still a puppy (6 months) and is very well behaved. I'm hoping I won't have to make any hard choices!
I will ask my humane society, but I doubt they will have anything.

alyxmegan 05-16-2013 12:15 PM

Any other tips guys?? :)

amandact 05-16-2013 12:32 PM

We had a no dog zone. Essentially the dogs cannot go in living room which is where we can the be more relaxed about what dd is doing. Dogs are great with her but she is constantly trying to feed them etc and our general rule is no matter how great they are never alone in a room together. Gating off the living room was also super helpful for when we first came home we could put her is the swing etc and control the interactions. We also did the the blanket thing and we we got home the dogs did not seem surprised to see her and mostly seemed pretty unimpressed. Babies are pretty boring to them I think. They mostly wanted to smell her, lick her head and walk away.

That said, my older dog was super weird when whenever anyone besides us would touch her (he would be right at their feet staring or circling the whole time) so having the living room where people would hold her and the dogs were not there was good. I know he was just being over protective but he is a big dog and I knew he was making people nervous. It passed quickly though, I think the more she was held by others he just became used to it and he could still see through the gate.

Sorry for the novel, in short, setting boundaries etc. seems like the most important things, but once the baby gets older it is harder to control as she now seeks them out :) poor dogs are constantly scolded for begging by the high chair while she is reaching out to them with food in her hand everytime they actually walk away or lay down :( I am worried it could get even harder with walking but honestly the coming home newborn stage was pretty easy. In a few days they decided she was one of us and seemed pretty indifferent. I have two medium/big mixed breeds, one is mostly German Shepard and the other pitbull for size reference.

Nerissa 05-16-2013 12:35 PM

Re: Introducing baby to dogs

We had/have a lab. She was very clingy to me while pregnant, laying with her head on my belly. to help her adjust to the new baby I had my DH bring home a blanket the baby had been swaddled in that had the new baby's sent. He let the dog sniff it.

We introduced the baby to our dog right away. Let the dog sniff the baby and all was good. We made sure to make time with the dog too. Like if we were just watching TV the dog would either lay on the couch with me and the baby or sit on the floor. I would make sure to praise her often for being gentle/good dog.

Our dog was pretty protective of our first baby. When new people would come over and hold the baby, she was right beside them.

She had her kennel in the living room where she could do lay down if she wanted to.

We haven't had any issues. Baby #3 is 7 months old. Our lab is now 7 years old. I have some great pictures.

This is what we did the first few days at home. Please excuse the horrible pic of me.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ephDean018.jpg

amf78 05-16-2013 02:45 PM

Like the PPs, I had DH bring a blanket home from the hospital that smelled like the baby and let our dog smell it. When we brought the baby home we let our dog smell and investigate him as soon as we walked in the door. He lost interest after that and we had no issues :)

Hungry Caterpillar 05-16-2013 05:43 PM

We brought blankets home from the hospital as well. We also did up the baby's room more than a month in advance and had everything ready for baby so the dogs could inspect the room and the only exotic thing in it when the baby came home was the baby.

One dog just loved him right away and was security-patrolling the house every day to keep him safe. The other one took a few weeks of mournful glances at the baby to get fully accustomed. We did find that both dogs are very territorial of the baby when in the stroller. They do not like other dogs to sniff or touch the stroller. We were used to our dogs being really laid back walking so adjusting our routine and not letting anyone walk up to the stroller was something we didn't expect.

I have a German Shepherd/pit/shiba Inu mix and a mystery rescue who is shepherd mixed with who knows what. Both around 70 lbs. One was 3.5 yrs old and one was 3 yrs old when we brought baby home.

Mamaleah 05-16-2013 07:58 PM

I have a lab mix and I didn't do anything to 'help' her. She was 1.5 when we brought our daughter home. I think I may have held a doll around her a little in the end, but maybe twice? When we brought her home, I let our dog come and check her out and sniff as much as she wanted. Then she just left her alone. She would come and sniff her when I held her and when she was in the swing. Then she would lay down by us or my daughter in her swing. Our dog doesn't bark or anything...meaning she isn't territorial...so maybe that is why she didn't have any problems? If you think your dog is aggressive and doesn't like new things, that is when I would worry. If your dog/s are good dogs that do okay with new people/animals then I wouldn't worry. If you stress about it, your dog will pick up on it and try to protect you.

alyxmegan 05-17-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamaleah
I have a lab mix and I didn't do anything to 'help' her. She was 1.5 when we brought our daughter home. I think I may have held a doll around her a little in the end, but maybe twice? When we brought her home, I let our dog come and check her out and sniff as much as she wanted. Then she just left her alone. She would come and sniff her when I held her and when she was in the swing. Then she would lay down by us or my daughter in her swing. Our dog doesn't bark or anything...meaning she isn't territorial...so maybe that is why she didn't have any problems? If you think your dog is aggressive and doesn't like new things, that is when I would worry. If your dog/s are good dogs that do okay with new people/animals then I wouldn't worry. If you stress about it, your dog will pick up on it and try to protect you.

My older dog is fine with new people but not animals. But that is a fear thing. She has met several children including a 2 month old and has done fine. She give the kids distance and is very gentle. The younger one is only 6 months. She is hyper and doesn't pay attention , but that's getting better with age.