Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Safe bug repellent (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1517494)

Teresa 05-16-2013 11:22 AM

Safe bug repellent

Anyone know of a safe bug repellent our whole family could use? We have terrible Mosquitos in the evenings, but I always worry about using bug repellent because of the chemicals. I've tried Burt's Bees before, but it was so oily, we couldn't use it. Any ideas?

danielle 05-16-2013 12:01 PM

All Terrain.

http://www.allterrainco.com/ecommerc...epellents.html

emboyd88 05-16-2013 12:10 PM

Re: Safe bug repellent

You could also get some from the honest company. They use all natural ingredients. I have some but never really got the chance to use it last year, so i can't promise the level of effectiveness.

juliasmom 05-16-2013 12:22 PM

IME, if citronella is the active ingredient it doesn't work against mosquitoes very well :-/ I have tried half a dozen natural ones...Cali Baby, All Terrain, Burt's Bees, BabyGanics... and I haven't had success with any. I am still on the hunt for a good natural bug repellent. The mosquitoes in Florida are BAD and last year we had West Nile in our county. I have been meaning to try a Neem Oil based repellent. Unfortunately, deet is the only thing that seems to keep them off...I usually use the cutter family care unscented.

ETA: I put my little in a Pack N Play with a bug net over it. I hate using those nasty chemicals on them, but we can't stay inside all summer either!

Teresa 05-16-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliasmom (Post 16599429)
IME, if citronella is the active ingredient it doesn't work against mosquitoes very well :-/ I have tried half a dozen natural ones...Cali Baby, All Terrain, Burt's Bees, BabyGanics... and I haven't had success with any. I am still on the hunt for a good natural bug repellent. The mosquitoes in Florida are BAD and last year we had West Nile in our county. I have been meaning to try a Neem Oil based repellent. Unfortunately, deet is the only thing that seems to keep them off...I usually use the cutter family care unscented.

ETA: I put my little in a Pack N Play with a bug net over it. I hate using those nasty chemicals on them, but we can't stay inside all summer either!

I completely understand using something, especially with the West Nile possibility. But I'm really hoping to find a natural product out there...

poohbear1208 05-16-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danner

I second all terrain. We use it here in mn with great results. Off, if I remember correctly, makes a citronella natural repellant as well. Either can be acquired at target

jbug_4 05-16-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliasmom (Post 16599429)

Yeah. I hate using Off- especially since we need to use it every day, but our mosquitoes are vicious. None of the natural stuff works so far. We've planted marigolds, used all kinds of natural bug repellents. So far off deep woods is all that works and we have to spray it on skin. They still attack if you spray it on clothes. Wish I could have the yard sprayed without getting it on our garden. We're going to experiment with the clip on things this year, but I have a feeling they won't work. These mosquitoes attack even the smallest bit of skin that isn't sprayed. If you don't spray clothes and only skin then they bite through your clothes.

Katie180 05-16-2013 05:04 PM

http://www.mommypotamus.com/easy-hom...bug-repellent/

And am excited to try it this year.

Katie180 05-16-2013 05:05 PM

Sorry last post was weird. It was supposed to say i made this and am excited to try it.

umphreysmommy 05-16-2013 05:32 PM

We used California baby in the past and I didn't love it but it was ok. This year I got babyganics brand and it works a lot better. We are having a yard sprayed with organic and safe spray this year so hopefully that makes up the difference in the less powerful bug sprays.