Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   When can you safely booster train? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1517680)

ericsmom99 05-17-2013 09:47 AM

When can you safely booster train?

My son is 4.5 (will be 5 in October), 44 pounds and 43 inches. We do a lot of carseat shuffle between my DH, myself and my oldest daughters car. Right now he is in a frontier and a prosport but I'm thinking of getting a booster for short trips to the store etc. is it too early? Is a really good car rider and listens pretty well. I'm just not sure if its a good idea yet.

mama_to_DJM 05-17-2013 10:31 AM

Re: When can you safely booster train?

With my 2 who have moved on to boosters, I waited until they were 6. Even though they were big enough, I waited until then so they'd be more likely to sit in it properly. Even now, I have to remind my 6 1/2 year old to sit up straight in it!

mommabritt 05-17-2013 10:57 AM

I think you can start training now if he meets the requirements for the booster seat and has good impulse control. I think it's a good thing for a child to know how to sit properly in one, even if thy don't use them full time. And there is no evidence to show that harnessing past 4 years old is any safer than a properly fitted booster used correctly. :thumbsup:

Computermama 05-17-2013 01:14 PM

You could do what I did. I left the harness in DD1's nauti, and for short trips, I let her use it as a booster. As she got used to it and I saw that she was handling it better, I started letting her go on longer and longer trips until I finally felt confident that she was handling it well enough to pull the harness out of the nauti. And I had to really feel confident because pulling that crotch buckle out is an enormous PITA.

ETA: He's 4, if you feel he has the maturity to sit still then sure. If you try it and feel he's not ready, its pretty easy to put him back in the harness. Most kids aren't ready till more like 5 or 6, but just like there are some kids who aren't ready until a little later, there will be some who can handle it at 4.

k&kmomrn 05-17-2013 04:21 PM

Most children are mature enough around 6 yo.

stringbean02 05-17-2013 04:56 PM

You can try training now if you'd like. 4 years old is the minimum. I'd recommend very short trips at first. Most kids are mature enough at 5-6, but some 4 year olds are. Just make sure the belt fits properly :)

luvsviola 05-17-2013 11:07 PM

It really depends on your kiddo. My kids are hyper. DD started at 5 because her school field trip would not allow harnessed seats, and I couldn't drive her that day. I wanted to make sure she would be safe for the trip, so we started about 2 weeks before (when I found out no convertible seats were allowed due to installation liabilities and time constraints). We put both a TurboHBB and her Frontier in the 3rd row of my van. If she sat nice, she stayed in the booster. If she couldn't get the belt done herself, or she didn't sit nice, she went back in the Frontier (which she could get herself in and out of). It took about 6 months til she went in the HBB full time.

DS is 4, and 35 pounds, a NOWHERE NEAR ready to booster train. He can't keep his hands to himself at all. He will probably be 6 at the earliest.

aries416 05-18-2013 07:01 AM

My DD will be 5 in July and we're going to try soon. She's very calm in the car and I think it's worth trying. She loves her Frontier85 and that will be her main seat for a while.

DalesWidda 05-19-2013 08:15 AM

With my oldest she was in a booster early like 3, (didn't know any better). With my middle she didn't go in a booster until she was 7, (she has ADHD) and even now I threaten to buy her a bigger five point harness seat because she has a hard time sitting stilll. My youngest turns 4 in a month and is already 40 pounds and 3'4" and she sits in a high back booster in her sitter's car but only on the rare occasion and for short trips. She sits extremely well. So I think it just depends on the child.

oddduck 05-19-2013 09:44 AM

I'm waiting for my almost 6 year old to be 40lbs (since 40lbs is law here). She's like 39.4lbs at last check.