Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Second Wives Club (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519175)

AtLeast 05-23-2013 11:19 AM

Second Wives Club

I was reading an article in TIME about abolishing alimony. There are chapters of the Second Wives Club that are pushing for alimony reform so that they can marry a man who would no longer have to pay alimony. Some legislators are opposed because they are afraid that it will make some women feel they need to stay in the workforce in order to protect themselves in the event of a divorce. One said he felt it took away a parent's ability to stay home and raise children, due to the need to keep a current resume. (paraphrasing)

Some states still have a "fault" divorce that allows for alimony vs a "no-fault" divorce. I don't have all the facts, but based on what I read, seems fine to me. If there is a court found fault, then alimony is due, but a no-fault, maybe not. I've never been divorced, don't have a spouse that pays anything to anyone else, so I am not speaking from any kind of experience.

What do you think?

GreenHome Sewing 05-23-2013 11:30 AM

Re: Second Wives Club

The whole notion of paying someone because you cannot stand to be married and living with them any longer seems a bit absurd to me in the first place, from both the partner's perspectives.
Maybe I missed the point of alimony somewhere?

chandni3 05-23-2013 11:31 AM

I think that if the woman has been home raising children full time then there should be alimony for a period of time, probably not forever but if the children are really little or still babies then it's best for her to be home. Also, a women would need some time to find a job and get on her feet. She shouldn't be forced to stay in an abusive or bad marriage because she can't find work. Also I think alimony should be paid if the woman is disabled and unable to work. If there are no children and the woman is healthy then there's no reason why she can't go out and get a job. Of course, for every situation there is always an exception.

MyLovely 05-23-2013 11:32 AM

I'm not a fan of alimony, except in more uncommon circumstances. Part of being a grown up is being able to plan for the unforeseeable, be it divorce or the death of a spouse.

Hillargh 05-23-2013 11:38 AM

I'm on a different side of the fence. My ex-husband was insanely controlling. I wasn't allowed to finish school, work, or leave base. We were 3,000 miles from my family when I left him for good. He burned all of my possessions, kept everything he liked my family gave us, and still kept the pay increase he got for us being married while we were separated for 2yrs. If I had had the means to get a lawyer, I would've wanted alimony.

It was unbelievably hard to start from scratch with nothing and no experience. We had no kids, and I don't believe that should always be a factor. If you become accustomed to living a certain way for years, there should be an adjustment period. I believe it should be situational (if you decided to stay home and then got divorced because you were cheating, I would be pretty annoyed if you wanted alimony from me LOL), but it's not as cut and dry as being an adult.

ETA: I also think it should be reviewed later on. I know some people abuse alimony, and some even purposely don't get remarried to avoid being cut off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

GreenHome Sewing 05-23-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLovely (Post 16617863)
I'm not a fan of alimony, except in more uncommon circumstances. Part of being a grown up is being able to plan for the unforeseeable, be it divorce or the death of a spouse.

And I would say that most divorces are not a sudden thing!

The American economy is not set up for women to stay home raising children and be financially comfortable. I think it is silly to presume that alimony should be around to fix some of that.
I do not get help to stay home and raise my children. In other countries this would be rather different, but not here in America.

Huxley 05-23-2013 11:43 AM

I think it is kind of silly. Women can take care of themselves. Why should an ex husband have to support his ex wife? I'm in the mindset right now to never marry though. As I grow older and wiser I may revisit this topic.

Hillargh 05-23-2013 11:46 AM

I also think people forget how nasty divorces get. Even if you have savings, unless you keep a separate account, your spouse could go take away your "backup plan" in a single swoop. And unless you have family nearby to accommodate, you can't exactly get a crap studio apartment to bring your 4 kids along to wing it in the mean time. Very rarely does anything go the way we think it might, so I always find it odd when people have matter of fact ways others should do things lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

ulawolf 05-23-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandni3 (Post 16617862)
I think that if the woman has been home raising children full time then there should be alimony for a period of time, probably not forever but if the children are really little or still babies then it's best for her to be home. Also, a women would need some time to find a job and get on her feet. She shouldn't be forced to stay in an abusive or bad marriage because she can't find work. Also I think alimony should be paid if the woman is disabled and unable to work. If there are no children and the woman is healthy then there's no reason why she can't go out and get a job. Of course, for every situation there is always an exception.

This. a woman shouldn't be punished for the choice they made as a couple for her to stay home .

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 05-23-2013 11:47 AM

It is still not that uncommon here where alimony is needed. Many women including myself stay home with children and take care of household duties so their husbands can pursue their careers. It is a mutual decision usually.
I had our first child before I finished collage. We BOTH decided that it was best for all of us if I stayed home and he provided for us.
If my dh left me, My resume is basically blank for the last 10 years besides waiting tables here and there. I would have to start at an entry level position that would not be able to support me.
THAT is what alimony is for.
I supported him at home so he COULD work the way that he does.
I should not be in the poor house while he is living in a high dollar house because he grew tired of me, when the decision was mutual for me to stay home.