Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What is your go-to meal when you just don't feel like cooking? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519300)

BSWmama 05-23-2013 09:51 PM

What is your go-to meal when you just don't feel like cooking?

Am not feeling the cooking love these days. Normally, we are very healthy eaters and I don't mind making dinner. Our CSA will start in June, maybe that will help things. But lately, I have been doing some things like making a batch of potato salad, and then having that with BLTs one night, hot dogs the next. Last night when DH got home from work, I ran to the grocery store for hamburger buns and a few things and then we had mozzarella/tomato/pesto sandwiches and potato chips because I just didn't feel like cooking lamb burgers like I had planned. Is freezer cooking the answer? Being less lazy?

aaiya 05-23-2013 09:59 PM

Re: What is your go-to meal when you just don't feel like cooking?

My go-to is some kind of tacoy-burritoey thing. Use uncooked flour tortillas from costco...cook them up then fill with rice, meat and/or beans. Top with lettuce (cut up or just lay a leaf on top), tomatoes or salsa, avocados, sliced peppers, etc. I like this because it is relatively fast, customizable to individual tastes, and doesn't heat up my kitchen. We have this at least once a week during the summer.

abunchoflemons 05-23-2013 10:02 PM

Frozen pizza, canned soup or/and sandwiches my oldest can do.

SweetMamaKaty 05-23-2013 10:18 PM

UGH, I feel you on the lazy-chef thing, posting to sub. Just not into it right now. My go-to is spaghetti - boil some pasta, brown some meat, throw the sauce in and heat. Bake some garlic bread if I'm feeling fancy. :D

abunchoflemons 05-23-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMamaKaty (Post 16619624)
UGH, I feel you on the lazy-chef thing, posting to sub. Just not into it right now. My go-to is spaghetti - boil some pasta, brown some meat, throw the sauce in and heat. Bake some garlic bread if I'm feeling fancy. :D

If I do spagetti no meat just noodles & sauce

Emmalily 05-23-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMamaKaty

This is my go to quick meal too. But I need some more ideas. Since I started working I hate to come home and cook.

:popcorn:

tinyblackdot 05-23-2013 10:29 PM

Eggs-omlets, breakfast tacos,quiche

Quesadillas-cheese and chicken or cheese and spinach

Frozen pizza or frozen lasagna

syfitz 05-23-2013 11:00 PM

Grilled chicken or fish and a salad. Easy clean up, fast, healthy and doesn't heat up my kitchen.

qsefthuko 05-23-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmalily (Post 16619652)
This is my go to quick meal too. But I need some more ideas. Since I started working I hate to come home and cook.

:popcorn:

I think freezer meals is likely best. I am not very good at keeping up on freezer meals but you can try things like making an extra frozen meatloaf. mashed potatoes freese well with it.

Some soups do well frozen. So does lasagna. Though that last is a lot of work to make. When I was cooking lasagna(conflicting dietary needs put a stop to that) I would make 3 at a time. Use one for dinner and freeze 2 for later use.

Chili freezes well. So does chili mac.

Chili frozen can be thawed and served over potatoes with cheese sprinkled on top. My kids love this. It can also be used the next day for chili, cheese dogs. I have also served it on top of french fries for chili cheese fries.

I have also made chicken parmesan for freezing. I cook the breaded chicken. Cool, then freeze and bag. I place it into a disposable baking pan with a bag of marinara sauce and mazzarella cheese. It is only a matter of minutes to assemble and place in the oven to bake. Boil pasta to serve under it. Dinner served with less time than it takes to go to the store. Don't forget to cover with tinfoil as the frozen chicken takes longer to thaw and heat than the cheese takes to brown. I do thaw the sauce before using.

RebekahG77 05-24-2013 12:28 AM

Breakfast, quesadillas or baked flautas, grilled or cold sandwiches, egg or tuna salad on crackers...