Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adoption and Foster Care (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Car seat VS Less children??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519797)

FerventlyDreaming 05-26-2013 07:44 AM

Car seat VS Less children???

We have a truck with three seats in front and three in back. We will not be taking any children older than spider-man who is four and 50 lbs.

Would you consider having four kids if you had to put one in the front seat of the truck or would you just take three and avoid the situation. I am really torn and unsure of the safety of the front seat.

The front passenger seat has a weight sensor but no true shut off. The child could ride in the middle but I have not found any literature on if the airbags pass over to the center seat in our truck.

So would you do more kids and put someone in the front or less kids so we don't have to put a child in the front seat?

For comfort and parenting reasons I wouldn't mind having four kids. It is only our vehicle situation that is standing in the way and we cannot afford to trade the truck in our buy another vehicle right now.

slimy72 05-26-2013 08:01 AM

Re: Car seat VS Less children???

With a weight sensor I probably wouldn't. One of my requirements when we bought our truck was it had to have a key off airbag switch. I also wouldn't put the child in the middle in our truck. So I'm thinking in your situation I wouldn't do it at all, in mine, I would but only on the passenger side airbag off. I did a ton of research on this years ago but I can't remember what I read or links i used, that was just the conclusion I came to.

ETA: How on earth did I end up posting here? I thought this post was in the thrifty forum. Sorry if I'm intruding, sometimes Im not even sure how I end up somewhere?

FerventlyDreaming 05-26-2013 08:25 AM

I dont know mama but I am glad you did. Thanks for the input :)

There is an indicator light to be sure if it is on or off though. Does that make a difference?

slimy72 05-26-2013 08:34 AM

I would ask over in the carseat forum the techs over there are much more knowledgeable than I am.

jjaelovesenglish 05-26-2013 09:52 AM

Yeah, go to carseat.org or something like that as they would know down to the model of the vehicle and the type of car seats one has. I have known people who have had the rear facer in the front but knew nothing of the truck.

slimy72 05-26-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjaelovesenglish (Post 16625410)
Yeah, go to carseat.org or something like that as they would know down to the model of the vehicle and the type of car seats one has. I have known people who have had the rear facer in the front but knew nothing of the truck.

My truck is one you can RF in the front passenger seat (but not in the middle) because of the airbag switch. But I am pretty darn sure you aren't suppose to RF at all if it's a weight sensor, and FF with a harness is frowned on but I"m not sure about how bad that is, I know I personally wasn't comfortable with it. Carseat.org is great, and we have a ton of techs on here that hang out in the carseat forum who are on both sites and are very good.