Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Any one, use marshmallow fondont? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519936)

ulawolf 05-26-2013 06:58 PM

Any one, use marshmallow fondont?

I just tried making it and contrary to, every review it wasnt easy. It kept cracking and coming apart as I was rolling it and I could not get it thinner than 1/4 inch.

Any one who successfully use this have, advice

happysmileylady 05-26-2013 07:02 PM

Re: Any one, use marshmallow fondont?

My sister uses it almost exclusively in her cake shop instead of regular fondant. I will ask my DD1, who works there and makes it regularly for them, about it when she gets back from her other job.

ulawolf 05-26-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysmileylady (Post 16626466)
My sister uses it almost exclusively in her cake shop instead of regular fondant. I will ask my DD1, who works there and makes it regularly for them, about it when she gets back from her other job.

Thank you. I have, three cakes to decorate by next saturday for dd1s open house and she really wants mmf .

happysmileylady 05-26-2013 07:30 PM

Ok, well she wasn't as much help as I thought. She mostly makes their buttercream. She did ask what recipe you are using?

ulawolf 05-26-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysmileylady (Post 16626522)
Ok, well she wasn't as much help as I thought. She mostly makes their buttercream. She did ask what recipe you are using?

16 oz., of good, marshmallows, 3 tsp of water, 2 lbs of powdered sugar and crisco for rolling

Computermama 05-26-2013 09:24 PM

I use it, although it's been a while. If it's cracking a lot it's too dry. Add some water or shortening.

Mama*Kim 05-26-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama
I use it, although it's been a while. If it's cracking a lot it's too dry. Add some water or shortening.

This. Absolutely. Also, if its very cold, its quite hard to work with. Sometimes, if that happens, I'll wrap it in plastic wrap and microwave it for about 10 seconds and kneed it again.

Mama*Kim 05-26-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulawolf

16 oz., of good, marshmallows, 3 tsp of water, 2 lbs of powdered sugar and crisco for rolling

I don't usually start with the full two pounds of powdered sugar. Most of the time, I start with about 1.5 pounds and add more if needed. I very rarely use all of it.

Fishie Kisses 05-26-2013 11:30 PM

I used it to make DS1's cake in Jan and while it technically did work, it was NOT easy and it made a HUUUUUGE mess. I had to mop my floor 5 times to get the sticky up.

dressagemom 05-27-2013 09:30 AM

I tried using it a couple of years ago, and it was a huge mess. It never did roll out properly, and I ended up throwing it all out. Very frustrating. I tried adding water to help with with dryness, but could not get it to stop cracking, no matter what. OP, I hope you have better luck than I did.