Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Watermelon for a crowd? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522589)

danielle 06-06-2013 08:22 AM

Watermelon for a crowd?

So I'm signed up for FRUIT for the pre-k celebration. Children, parents, grandparents, etc. are invited. 17 kids.

I'm figuring the way to cover all of those people without going broke is to cut up a full sized watermelon. I'd have to cut it up before leaving home.

So how do you or would you cut a watermelon for little people, and more importantly, how would you transport it?

Thank you!

Oh and if you have a better idea for FRUIT, I'd love to hear it!

Leiiki 06-06-2013 08:24 AM

Cut it into a basket shape, use a melon baller to divvy up the fruit and return it to the basket. Bring a ladle for serving.

NappyChappy 06-06-2013 09:48 AM

Re: Watermelon for a crowd?

i ALWAys cut watermelon into 'pizza' slices it stays juicier and there is something to hold onto. Watermelon it definitely your best option for saving money. To transport I'd put it into a baking dish 13x9.

Hungry Caterpillar 06-06-2013 10:08 AM

Watermelon cut into a basket as PP said and melon-balled, then mix the balls, grapes, and cherries. Those juices all mingle and mix well together. Cherries are in season right now and are generally very well-priced in mid-June.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 06-06-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NappyChappy (Post 16655870)
i ALWAys cut watermelon into 'pizza' slices it stays juicier and there is something to hold onto. Watermelon it definitely your best option for saving money. To transport I'd put it into a baking dish 13x9.

I'd do this and get a 13x9 disposable tray from dollar tree to take them in.

JayDee38 06-07-2013 08:18 AM

You might want to get some kind of little bowls or cups for people to spoon their watermelon into. Especially if you're using a melon scooper, those would roll off a plate!

pagetm 06-18-2013 09:52 AM

I always leave my watermelon on the rind for little hands to hold. Then they don't need silverware and won't get as messy. I second the idea of a 13x9 cake pan with a snap-on lid or just a plastic mixing bowl with a snap-on lid. Watermelon is such a sentinel of summer!

Tris 06-18-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NappyChappy (Post 16655870)

:thumbsup: What I do too.

danielle 06-18-2013 12:27 PM

I cut the watermelon into pizza slices.

The other mama who had fruit is obviously an overachiever (or only has the one kid). She had big watermelon balls, cantaloupe balls and strawberries on those fancy long wooden skewers. Looked like she spent all morning doing it. I slept in.
:)

beet1e 06-18-2013 03:17 PM

You won!