Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   breast infection? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1526758)

GodStillTalks 06-24-2013 10:07 AM

I'm trying to stay calm, but the crap I've been through this weekend....

Due to an emergency, I was separated from my 3.5mo daughter for 12 hours last Friday night. She had to be fed formula in my absence, and my breasts became very engorged. As soon as I got home, I pumped both breasts and nursed her. I've been watching out for mastitis because I had that when she was 6 weeks old, and DEAR LORD it was awful.

I don't see any red streaks, and until this morning, all seemed fine. But when I woke up, I noticed that my right breast feels very sore. There is also a white patch at the end of my nipple, that at first I thought was dried milk or something. It's getting increasingly painful.

Is this thrush or something? Advice on resolving this naturally? I don't have insurance. :/

Eta: my breasts were itchy Saturday, too. Not at the nipple, but around the top. I thought it might be from the lace on my bra. I don't know if it was or not.

mama2tommy 06-24-2013 10:55 AM

Re: breast infection?

Sounds like a milk bleb on your nipple. It needs to be taken care of ASAP. You basically need to scratch the skin enough to draw it out - you can use warm compresses, and a sterilized needle, to start scraping it open - if left to get worse, the milk behind the bleb can start to solidify, and when you get it out, it may be stringy. You can go to an LC, but it's really more comfortable to deal with it yourself!

GodStillTalks 06-24-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2tommy (Post 16703964)
Sounds like a milk bleb on your nipple. It needs to be taken care of ASAP. You basically need to scratch the skin enough to draw it out - you can use warm compresses, and a sterilized needle, to start scraping it open - if left to get worse, the milk behind the bleb can start to solidify, and when you get it out, it may be stringy. You can go to an LC, but it's really more comfortable to deal with it yourself!

I just took a hot shower, pumped (barely got anything), had hubs get a clean needle, and I piercedd what looked like a tiny blister in the middle of the white. I didn't immediately get anything, but I went to soak in a hot tub and massage the sure area behind my nipple. I could see some milk coming, and then I noticed a thick white string floating in the water with me. I'm hoping that was it. Then I pumped about an ounce.

I'm going to keep a close eye on it, and maybe repeat the whole thing in a few hours.

Off to consult with Dr. Google...

bluecandi 06-24-2013 05:25 PM

Eeek! Feel better mama!!!

momof3boys1girl 06-24-2013 05:51 PM

ouch! Hope you got it

MrsTorres 06-24-2013 07:25 PM

I had the same issue twice after years of not BFing..I was kinda shocked and didnt know what it was. I ended up soaking it in a hot shower and then trying to work it out and nothing happened but then a bit afterwards it started hurting even worse so I tried working with it again and it popped and everything came out. When it happened the second time I did it again and the same thing happened. I keep an eye on it because it's the same spot both times.

babymakes3.4.5.... 06-24-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2tommy (Post 16703964)

I had this before, twice, with DS1. I had to squeeze towards my nipple to get the "string of cream" out. It was awful and painful. But you definitely want to make sure you get it all and pump a ton after you do to keep it clear!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsTorres (Post 16705497)
I had the same issue twice after years of not BFing..I was kinda shocked and didnt know what it was. I ended up soaking it in a hot shower and then trying to work it out and nothing happened but then a bit afterwards it started hurting even worse so I tried working with it again and it popped and everything came out. When it happened the second time I did it again and the same thing happened. I keep an eye on it because it's the same spot both times.

This. I had constant issues with that one spot on my breast getting clogged the entire time I nursed DS1. Oddly enough, the other breast was more of an issue with DS2. Yet to have any issues with DS3 (woohoo!).

Hang in there, it's tough and it's painful, but if you work at it, it will pass :hugs:

Kquiet 06-25-2013 03:00 PM

Hope you feel better soon! Nothing like sore breasts when you are breast feeding!