Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Introducing our newest son .... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15269)

Catrinau 06-17-2006 09:44 PM

Introducing our newest son ....

Adrian Michael
EDD: July 8th, 2006
DOB: June 15th, 2006
Time: 12:26pm
Weight: 6lbs 11oz
Height: 19.5 inches

My contractions started around 10:30 pm on the 14th. They were light and since I had had contractions on and off throughout the pregnancy, i wasn't really worried. I went to bed and was able to sleep through them. I got up quite a few times in the night to go potty and they continued, but like I said, I didn't think anything of it.
Well at 4:30am I woke up to go potty and realized that I would not be able to go back to sleep because they were increasing in strength. I woke up my dh and told him I thought it was time for us to go to the hospital.
(Thankfully my cousin was staying with us so she stayed here with our other 2 sons).
We got to the hospital about 7am (ya know .. had to shower and pack my bag .. I'm a procrastinator I guess!). I was 3-4 cm dilated and they said that I'd be delivering there or they would transfer me up to Children's Hospital (about 2 hrs away) to have the baby because he would be considered premature (35.5 weeks). They decided to keep me down at our little hospital and they broke my water.
I'm a big wimp and couldn't handle the pain, so I opted for the epidural, but the darn thing then slowed my contractions down to 5 mins apart AND I got super bad itchies from it. They gave me something for the itchies (ugh.. that was the worst stuff on earth! Totally made me OUT of it!) and then put me on some pitocin to get my contractions back up and going. The pitocin started about 11am. At about 12:15 I started to get some MAJOR pains that the epidural wasn't even touching. I told the nurse and she checked me and surprisingly I was at 9cm (my labors are usually VERY VERY long). She had the doc come in and check me and he said "Yeah, she is at 9. I'll be back in 30 minutes to deliver". As he walked out the door I told the nurse that he'd need to be back in about 5 mins because I think he is coming quicker than that. She just laughed at me. Within just a minute or two I yelled to her "I think he is coming NOW!" (I could feel him sliding past my cervix). She kinda rolled her eyes at me but looked down and started to freak out because she could see his head crowning. She grabbed my knees and shoved them together and started yelling at me to close my legs. Um.. excuse me .. closing my legs ISN'T going to help .. this baby WANTED OUT! So she is trying to call the doctor. He gets in the room just as the babies head comes out of me. He gets his gloves on and tells me to quit pushing. I told him I wasn't pushing at all .. the baby was just coming out. He cut the cord (ugh.. without even asking if my dh wanted to) and Little Adrian slid right out into his hands. I swear .. I didnt even push ONCE ... it was like he just crawled on out!
He gave some really good screams and looked nice and healthy!! :) He scored a 10 on the apgar.
The swaddled him up and gave him to me. I was still feeling kinda "out of it" from that nubane or whatever they gave me to stop the itchies, but could definitely see that his chest was really working hard with each breath. I said something to the nurse and she said that she thought he was fine but they would go check him out. I figured I just might have been being paranoid seeing as my other 2 children had both had breathing problems at birth, but I'd rather be over cautious than lax, ya know?
Well they kept saying he was ok ... just having some minor problems until the ped came in and checked him. Then the phone calls to Buffalo Children's started ... and the visits to my room telling me that they were thinking of transferring him to the bigger better hospital. At 12:30am they came in adn told me that he was being sent up to the other hospital and that the respiratory transport team was on the way.
So... I cancelled my tubal that was scheduled for the morning and let them know that I would be leaving in the am so that I could go up there and be with him.

So.. less than 24 hrs after having him I left and dh and I went up to the NICU where Adrian was now going to be at. Buffalo Children's is the best hospital in the area and it is also where our other ds had to go after he was born. They are amazing up there .. I just hated that my family would be split up like this .. 2 hrs apart. We had thought about staying with my mil because she lives near the NICU hospital, but after spending only a few hours at her house I realized I couldn't do it. We had stayed with her with our last ds, but now we had 2 ds's at home and one up there and she was just too demanding of our time (she wants us to be home at 5pm to have dinner and she wants my dh to weed her garden and clean her gutters and stuff .. and our baby is in the NICU). I kinda blew up at her because she was having my dh fix the sump pump and I wanted to go to the hospital to see Adrian. I just started bawling and told her that our baby was the most important thing and that we were leaving. So ... we are now driving the 2 hrs up and the 2 hrs back everyday. And this weekend we have even been bringing our other ds's with us and having them sit in the waiting room with one of us while the other goes in and sits with Adrian. It isn't the most ideal situation, but we don't have to be at my mil's beck and call, so it is worth it.

Anyway .. enough on my mil .. more about Adrian.

They are saying he has TTN ... he has amnitoic fluid in his lungs and because he is a little premature he is not coughing it up and it is causing him to have to struggle to breathe. They have him on a cpap machine to make sure he won't collapse his lungs. He doesn't have any infections (yeah!!) and at this point it looks like we are just waiting for the amnitoic fluid to reabsorb into his lungs and then he will be able to breathe better. They started feeding him via a tube today. Things are looking pretty positive. I hope they stay that way. If they do .. maybe we can bring him home mid week.

I'm pumping, but am not getting much of anything. I'm so worried I'll not get any milk like with my last pregnancies .. but I'm going to try.

Anyway .. thanks for reading this long babble. Hopefully Adrian will be home soon and I can share some better pics of him! You can't really get a good look at his face when he has that machine hooked up to him!

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/7713...615/113256.jpg
Video Hosting - Upload Video - Video Sharing
http://www.dropshots.com/photos/7713...616/110902.jpg
http://www.dropshots.com/photos/7713...616/111549.jpg
http://www.dropshots.com/photos/7713...616/183947.jpg

Smiles,
Catrina

CMamma 06-17-2006 09:53 PM

Re: Introducing our newest son ....

TY for sharing! OMG SO CUTE! And those little toes! Ahhhh makes me want more... ok no but really such a great looking baby!

jessica36 06-17-2006 10:07 PM

Cat ~ He is adorable!

Quiverfillin 06-17-2006 10:18 PM

Well, first off, CONGRATULATIONS!! He is a little cutie! :mrgreen:

Sorry for the trouble he's having. I hope he is better soon and able to come home with you. :hugs:

Thank you for sharing your birth story. I love hearing them! :blush:

Kimmomy2dom 06-17-2006 10:19 PM

He's beautiful! Congratulations to you and your family. So sorry about your MIL problems but I'm glad he might be coming home soon! Congrats again - he looks wonderful!

2sweetboys 06-17-2006 10:28 PM

Gorgeous! I have tears in my eyes seeing those pics. Even though my youngest is only 11 months I so badly want to have another baby! There is only 20 months between my boys, so I know I can do it.

Until we move and get settled I will be getting a 'baby fix' from you ladies and my cousin's new baby!

newlywaaz 06-17-2006 10:30 PM

was he born face first? So adorable, and I'm glad to hear he's doing so well even though he's a bit early. Thanks for sharing your birth story, especially since I read that you're from NY. Whereabouts?? I'm originally from near Wellsville and Hornell, NY, which are each around 2 hours south of Buffalo. (if you make a triangle between Buff and Roch, I'm at the bottom, right on the PA border)

Good luck with the bfing, hopefully you won't have to pump long...

~mira

*~Mindy~* 06-17-2006 10:45 PM

aww hes cute :d congrats and i hope the fluid is gone super fast and he can come home with yall soon, and im glad yoou jus left you mils, you so dont need that right now! sheesh!! :bighug:

MommyMommyMommy 06-17-2006 11:56 PM

:happy_birthday: to little Adrian. I'll be praying that he is healthy, out of the hospital and home with your family soon! Good job, mama!

stopka7224 06-18-2006 12:06 AM

CONGRATS mama! I am sorry you are having a rough time. He is absolutely gorgeous. And you will be home before you know it! :hugs: