Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What age is raw sushi ok? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1528909)

Newton 07-02-2013 05:46 PM

What age is raw sushi ok?

We love sushi in our house. DD has to date eaten only cooked or vegetable sushi and miso soup etc... DH is desparate to feed her raw sushi, however, she is only 4.5 yrs old. I can't find a reliable source for an age and have seen anything between 2, 5, 8 and 12. I will ask next time we are at the Dr if I don't find an answer
Thanks!

leyash 07-02-2013 05:51 PM

Re: What age is raw sushi ok?

i think once it has been established that there's no seafood allergy, and their digestive systems are okay to handle it, i'd go for it. my "safe" zone i think would be about 4-5, when they can ask for it and actually know what it is.

NotLad 07-02-2013 05:54 PM

Once they are on all solids? That's my guess.

Tris 07-02-2013 05:56 PM

My 4 and 5 year old eat sushi, I never thought anything of it.

Hungry Caterpillar 07-02-2013 05:58 PM

My son is nearly 21 months and I am going to let him have raw sushi in a few months. My personal logic was that at this age, if he got a nasty stomach bug, I wouldn't freak out about it like I would have before 18 months old. Now, we only go to two sushi restaurants where we know the owners and chefs, know the provenance of the fish, and have never had issue in five years of going there, so I feel safe.

Not sure if that helps you :)

chillimom 07-02-2013 06:12 PM

My DD has been eating it since she was around a year old - the same time we introduced seafood in general. I didn't realize it could be an issue? She LOVES it, it's one of her favourite foods now at a month shy of 3 years.

kannondicarpo 07-02-2013 06:25 PM

Mine all eat ahi sushi and poke. The youngest was 20 months the day we landed in Hawaii and my brother, her Uncle, lovingly brought her up to speed on island style grinds!

Solomon's Mama 07-02-2013 06:26 PM

My 2.5 year old and almost 4 year old LOVE sushi. I think they were both between 18 months-24 months when they first had it. DS has already requested it for his birthday dinner lol. I figure as long as they aren't allergic and it is from a clean, reputable restaurant, it can't be any big risk. I have been eating it since I was a kid and have never had any issues.

Erinne 07-02-2013 06:51 PM

My dd was around 2. She has always loved it.

kelpie169 07-02-2013 06:55 PM

My 9 months olds had it...she was I think about 8 months when she snatched it off our plate and crammed it in her mouth. And she loved it.