Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Favorite recipes using ground turkey, please? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530391)

Southern Momma 07-09-2013 01:32 PM

Favorite recipes using ground turkey, please?

Ground turkey, it's what's for dinner! But I'm tired of my usual turkey & spinach meatballs. And DH says "yuck" to meatloaf.

Care to give me some ideas? Thanks!

stevensmom 07-09-2013 01:33 PM

Taco salad.

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***

qsefthuko 07-09-2013 01:36 PM

Re: Favorite recipes using ground turkey, please?

biscuit meat roll.

I make up biscuit dough. Roll it to about 1/4 or so thickness. Then I spread on cooked ground turkey and roll up the dough. I season the ground turkey with garlic and salt while cooking. You can either cook the roll as is or slice and bake for a quicker bake time. I like to serve it with a white sauce over top. Gravy is also good on top. Add veggies as a side and dinner is ready.

I also use ground turkey as the meat in my spaghetti.

I make meatballs out of ground turkey with Italian seasonings. Cook in marinara sauce and make meatball subs with it.

Cook and season the ground turkey and add to rice and broccoli. Melt in cheese for cheesy chicken and rice.

I also use ground turkey in place of beef in beef stroganoff.

Basically anywhere you use ground beef use the ground turkey instead. I do use a bit more seasoning though as ground turkey tends to be more bland.

qsefthuko 07-09-2013 01:42 PM

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheeseb...e7=Home%20Page

I use ground turkey in this recipe. I also like shredding my potato verses dicing it. The whole family really loves this. I have just had to stop making it due to dairy issues.

Mummandherboys 07-10-2013 03:04 PM

I agree with PP...we use ground turkey in all the recipes that call for ground beef...it usually works really well. The only thing I have not figure out yet is how to make good turkey burgers!! I fail every time...not sure if I need to prepare them differently than ground beef burgers...?? But otherwise, we use it in many other dishes :)

twood80 07-10-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummandherboys (Post 16747975)
The only thing I have not figure out yet is how to make good turkey burgers!! I fail every time...not sure if I need to prepare them differently than ground beef burgers...??

Fail how? Taste, texture, they fall apart...?

Southern Momma 07-10-2013 03:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! We did tacos :) I've tried using ground turkey in place of ground beef but DH can always tell some how :( Maybe I haven't been using enough seasoning? The taco meat turned out yummy though, even super picky DD liked it, I may start using turkey for tacos all the time now.

I've tried making turkey burgers and mine always lack flavor and are very dry, even when I shorten cooking time. Any good recipes for those???

qsefthuko 07-10-2013 03:49 PM

Try going half ground turkey and ground beef. Eventually my husband came to prefer ground turkey meatloaf.

mamacita1222 07-10-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Momma
Thanks for the suggestions! We did tacos :) I've tried using ground turkey in place of ground beef but DH can always tell some how :( Maybe I haven't been using enough seasoning? The taco meat turned out yummy though, even super picky DD liked it, I may start using turkey for tacos all the time now.

I've tried making turkey burgers and mine always lack flavor and are very dry, even when I shorten cooking time. Any good recipes for those???

You need to add water and more salt. A lot of people put soy sauce in their turkey burgers (because it is salty).

It doesn't taste like beef, which is why I eat it, so you need to stop thinking of it as a replacement and just do other things with it.

twood80 07-11-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Momma (Post 16748069)

Beef burgers are generally recommended using 80% lean beef, rather than 93%, because the fat content is necessary. Obviously turkey is pretty lean, hence the lack of flavor, dryness, and also a tendency to fall apart. If you want lower fat, I don't have good recommendations for a turkey burger. If you're willing to do as previous poster suggested, mix it with other meat, that works out better. If you're willing to turn it into meatloaf, then you could add more water, more bread, and/or mix your meats. And it doesn't have to be beef, it can be venison, lamb, etc.