Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Please just tell me he will grow into liking books (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530470)

Palooka 07-09-2013 08:08 PM

Please just tell me he will grow into liking books

When my son was born I was determined to read "real" books to him. I read aloud while nursing, read to him as he slept... and he hated it! He seriously got annoyed that I wasn't looking straight at him. As soon as he was old enough (we are talking 6 months) he would try to wriggle away to go play if I tried to read to him, or he would close the book and push it away.

He is now nearly 18 months and still won't listen to me read at all. I can get him to point to a couple pictures in books, but there is no real listening involved. It's just identifying objects. We have a ton of books. He never sees the TV, computer or phone screens. He sees us reading all the time. Still, zero interest in listening to us read to him.

When did your kids start listening to you read books?

Wendylady 07-09-2013 08:18 PM

Re: Please just tell me he will grow into liking books

That sounds a lot like my now 7 yr old at that age. He likes me reading to him now but not any earlier lol. But despite that he loves to read and was one of the top readers in his first grade class last year. :) Your reading around him is just as important as reading to him, because you're teaching him that it's something you love. That's what finally got my 7yr old interested when he was 5, seeing the rest of us reading. I would continue to try and read to him but don't stress over him not being interested. He'll more than likely love it eventually.

Dmpmercury 07-09-2013 08:32 PM

Two of my kids were not into reading books at that age. One wouldn't want to read at all and the other would sit for like 30 seconds and then be done. They all like listening to books now and my oldest is a strong reader. I think they started liking books better around 2.

wordbox 07-09-2013 08:36 PM

I wouldn't worry about it right now. Have them available, read for short periods, but for now he's still a baby. Some just don't have the attention span. My son LOVED books from a pretty young age. My daughter (11 months) is more of a take it or leave it kind of mentality with them.

I recommend Alphabooks, though, they were great with teach our son the alphabet and he liked looking at the pictures. They are nice and small and easy for them to manipulate, with only 3 photos per letter.

rumblepurr 07-09-2013 08:37 PM

At the moment he is doing great and learning vocabulary. Keep it short and sweet, and get some hard board books for him to play with, chew on, bang up and "read" ie look at the pictures (pictures are worth a 1000 words you know). There are some awesome ones that are not to moronic, like board books put out by museums and use art: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Masters-B...art+board+book
and
http://www.amazon.com/First-ABC-The-...art+board+book

He will start to want longer stories at about 2.5 if not earlier, if the stories are interesting to him. Ever try to read a book that someone else highly recommended, but you just can't get into? Kids are like everybody else and have their own interests. The best way to get them into reading is luring them in (even with insipid "this is a red fire engine" kind of books...) by pandering to current interests and broadening out from there.

iris0110 07-09-2013 08:40 PM

My oldest would only tolerate novels from very little until he was about 4 or so. Something about the pictures in children's books bothered him. He sat still beautifully if I read novels to him though. We read all kinds. When he was older (pre-school aged) he grew into all the pretty picture books. My youngest on the other hand would not tolerate books being read to him until he was two or older. He just couldn't stand it. Kearnan and I were used to our nightly reading of books like Harry Potter but after little brother came we just couldn't do it anymore. He wouldn't even put up with picture books and would try to destroy them if I tried to read them. He would play with board books but that was it. Kearnan and I read when he was asleep (which wasn't that frequently unfortunately). Both of my boys love books now. Despite struggling to "get" reading Kearnan is an avid reader and tackles books well above his grade level. You rarely catch him without a book in hand. Tharen still prefers to be read to but he loves a good story. He will read anything about pirates, cats or wolves.

Palooka 07-09-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumblepurr (Post 16746051)
At the moment he is doing great and learning vocabulary. Keep it short and sweet, and get some hard board books for him to play with, chew on, bang up and "read" ie look at the pictures (pictures are worth a 1000 words you know). There are some awesome ones that are not to moronic, like board books put out by museums and use art: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Masters-B...art+board+book
and
http://www.amazon.com/First-ABC-The-...art+board+book

He will start to want longer stories at about 2.5 if not earlier, if the stories are interesting to him. Ever try to read a book that someone else highly recommended, but you just can't get into? Kids are like everybody else and have their own interests. The best way to get them into reading is luring them in (even with insipid "this is a red fire engine" kind of books...) by pandering to current interests and broadening out from there.

Hahaha, that second link is to his favorite book! If I ask him to show me the cat he runs to that book and carefully turns the pages to the cat.
:wub:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iris0110 (Post 16746060)
My oldest would only tolerate novels from very little until he was about 4 or so. Something about the pictures in children's books bothered him. He sat still beautifully if I read novels to him though. We read all kinds. When he was older (pre-school aged) he grew into all the pretty picture books. My youngest on the other hand would not tolerate books being read to him until he was two or older. He just couldn't stand it. Kearnan and I were used to our nightly reading of books like Harry Potter but after little brother came we just couldn't do it anymore. He wouldn't even put up with picture books and would try to destroy them if I tried to read them. He would play with board books but that was it. Kearnan and I read when he was asleep (which wasn't that frequently unfortunately). Both of my boys love books now. Despite struggling to "get" reading Kearnan is an avid reader and tackles books well above his grade level. You rarely catch him without a book in hand. Tharen still prefers to be read to but he loves a good story. He will read anything about pirates, cats or wolves.

This is what I was going for in the beginning. I read novels and books like Alice in Wonderland. He just refused to sit still for any of it. Sigh.

Thank you ladies. I just needed to hear that it is a phase. :goodvibes:

momtojande 07-09-2013 08:47 PM

DS didn't like listening to books much at that age. He grew to like it much more as he got older.

He was able to read reasonably well for quite awhile before he started liking it. Actually just this past April he suddenly turned into a reader (age 7). What did it was getting him Captain Underpants and a book light. Suddenly reading has given him the ability to stay up "late" reading potty jokes. :giggle: He's gone on to read other things, but that was the spark.

Another thing that helped with him, was wanting to read the next chapter in a book I read to him. He did not like chapter books when he was younger, even 5. But around 6 he got more tuned in to them. He'll hang out playing with a toy while I read, but if I ask him he's hearing everything. Now in the last few months, when I'm done with our 2 chapters for the night, if the suspense is getting to him he'll take the book to bed and read on.

DD was actually very resistant to learning to read until last summer, age 5. Then all of a sudden she started picking out words. Now she's enjoying reading short books. She's always loved being read to, though.

The other thing I try to remember is that it's okay if they don't love reading as much as I do! There's a lot of good in being a reader, but if it just doesn't become their favorite thing, that's okay. I want them to be able to read well and critically, so they can be informed. And I'd love to share the joy of reading with them. But I don't want to push it for my ego (like some pushy guy who needs his son to play football because he played it, kwim?).

mibarra 07-09-2013 08:51 PM

DD1 would sit for books by 9 months, but we didn't know she was hearing impaired. DD2 couldn't care less about books til she was 2. Now at 4 and 2.5 you wouldn't know the difference, they both adore books. My advice is don't push it. You can't make him like them, and trying to force him to listen when he's not interested will probably push him away from it, KWIM? Good luck!"

mkrisel 07-09-2013 10:10 PM

What's most important is that he is in a literary rich environment. He sees you reading, has access to books, and you talk to him. From just that he will learn many of the ore-literacy skills needed. Just talking-about your day, explaining what will happen tomorrow, explaining what you are doing at the grocery store, about what you see on the side of the road, will help him be ready to learn to read. You really can't force a kid who isn't ready to enjoy reading.
Just keep doing what your doing, offer books, and follow his lead.