Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Pumping frequency? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1532290)

shoebert 07-17-2013 11:44 AM

Pumping frequency?

I've been EPing for 9 months now (LO was a preemie and never caught onto the BFing thing). I still try to pump every 3 hours during the day, and don't pump at night (between about 10pm and 5am). My supply is starting to go down, and I'm probably going to stop pumping by the time LO is 1. Is still pumping every 3 hours excessive? I figure he only eats every 4-5 hours and if I were BFing then my supply would have adjusted to that. Does it work the same way with pumping? Or will it just decrease my supply even more?

It's just frustrating to keep pumping every 3 hours and be getting so much less than I did before.

twood80 07-17-2013 03:29 PM

Re: Pumping frequency?

Pumping always takes more work than nursing (frequency and duration), and drops off faster than nursing supply after LO starts eating food. Sorry, I don't EP so I can't help more.

BiskMama 07-18-2013 12:50 PM

Has anything changed like your diet or fluid intake? When I EPED if either of thoughs factors changed, my supply plummeted. Also could your pump be waring out, thus not stimulating you enough? In my opinion, your schedule sounds fine. Good luck, and congrats for nine months!

Smplyme89 07-18-2013 12:56 PM

It really depends on how much your producing if you can start stretching out your pumping sessions. I didn't EP (though I did go back to work full time and pumped til N was 13 months old). I was never able to go past 3 hours because I barely produced for the pump just what he was taking in at the sitter.

twood80 07-19-2013 10:27 AM

A few more thoughts. I've always had to pump more often at work than LO nursed at home. And I always forget about changing the little white membranes, DH has to remind me. Also, your cycle tends to be associated with drops in output, for a few days per month I always had to get LO to nurse extra at home and pump extra times at work so my supply would rebound after those days were done.

eflannery 07-19-2013 01:45 PM

First off - way to go for EP'ing this long. I basically EP'd with my oldest, she never caught on to nursing either and I would nurse her for one meal per day (right after work) so I know how much work it is!!

If it were me I would give it a try and cut back to pumping every 4-5 hours, but I would also pick up some fenugreek so that your supply doesn't slip TOO much. And if it does and you aren't able to pump what he is taking in each day you may have to go back to every 3. But keep in mind that your body eventually stops responding as well to the pump.

Changing the membranes is an excellent suggestion too! So is switching up the strengths during your session.

GL!