Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Possible low milk supply...baby with food allergies (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1533809)

bethdrews 07-24-2013 12:11 AM

Possible low milk supply...baby with food allergies

My DS will be one this week. He has food allergies and is lactose intolerant. We have trouble knowing what to feed him without him breaking out all over...so he has still been mostly nursing. We had been able to cut out a couple daytime feedings, but the last couple days it feels like he is nursing more. My problem is that my breasts don't feel full anymore, it takes a long time for my milk to let down, and he only seems to get milk for about 2 minutes on each side. My period came back a couple months ago and it seems my supply has gone down ever since. Is my body just ready to wean or am I doing something wrong? DS, up to this point, will not take any other kind of milk from a sippy or bottle and he has never taken pumped milk from anything...believe me, we've tried! With the allergies and eating problems, I need to be able to nurse him so he can get some calories. I should also mention, this is my first child to nurse and my first child with food allergies, so I have no idea what to expect.

We have an appointment with an allergist next week, so hopefully we'll get some answers then that will make mealtime easier. Just wondering what you all think I could do to help the situation in the meantime. Sorry if this is all over the place. There are so many factors weighing in. It just seems so overwhelming right now...feeling like I'm not doing a very good job providing what he needs.

Sarah-B 07-24-2013 12:37 AM

Make sure you are drinking 1 gallon per day of water. Also my dd is 12 months also & my period returned when dd was 8-9 months I think. I know that these babies have 100 things to look at rather than nurse lol but they are very efficient at this age. Dd doesn't really eat that many solids either and is night weaned but will nurse 5-7 times per day for anywhere from 2-10 mins each time.

Is your son gain well - like is he under weight?

bethdrews 07-24-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Possible low milk supply...baby with food allergies

I don't think he's under weight. He's 21 lbs, but he's been that same weight since he was 6 mo old. I probably should drink more water. I know I'm not getting a gallon. It's easy to forget throughout the day because I'm so busy. In my mind this was all just so horrible, but you make it seem normal! :). Thank you! I needed that! I guess some moms don't feed solids much at all until after a year. I'm getting so much pressure from my mom that "he should be eating more...it's not healthy for him..." The older generations think babies should be eating steak by 5 months.