Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   nusing a baby in the summer (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153777)

mariewes 05-24-2007 11:54 AM

nusing a baby in the summer

this is my first time nursing a baby in hot weather...so I was curious about some things.

I know you aren't supposed to give water or anything, but will the BM really cool them down? Should you nurse more frequently to keep well hydrated?

Has anyone ever thought of (or done) making BM popsicles? :lostit: LOL- just a thought.

Give me your summer nursing tips!:mrgreen:

Sweetpotatoesmom 05-24-2007 11:59 AM

Re: nusing a baby in the summer

I'm pretty sure that the bm will keep him hydrated enough. It it something like83%(estimate) water.

Leininger27 05-24-2007 12:03 PM

I made my kiddos BM popsicles. They loved them and definitely cooled them down. They were great for teething too!

BRIDEN 05-24-2007 12:04 PM

I nursed my son when he was a newborn all summer and he was fine. :) I plan to nurse him this summer as well, but of course he is a bit older and can have water or whatever. I would not worry about the baby getting dehydrated :). Just nurse alot! :) I was told by teh LLL to nurse more often esp in hot days :)

togg_mama 05-24-2007 12:12 PM

we've had upper 90's and low 100's for the past couple of weeks and my 3 month old nursling is just eating more often. Of course I am careful not to keep her in the heat too long, but she seems fine, is still gaining weight and all that good stuff. :goodvibes:

LydiaJW 05-24-2007 01:11 PM

wow I've never even thought of that. All my babies have HATED anything cold until they are older, so it never occurred to me to give them cold/frozen bm. I think they are definitely hydrated enough by the bm, and just keep them out of the sun to ensure they don't overheat.:thumbsup:

zionnecherub 05-24-2007 01:13 PM

I nursed my ds when he was born last year in May. We lived in SW Florida which was insanely hot and miserable. We stayed indoors most of the time, your baby will be fine :)

kannondicarpo 05-24-2007 01:15 PM

Great thread. I never would have thought to ask this.

Mom2Natalya 05-24-2007 08:05 PM

since BM is made for babies, it's all they need, in fact, the AAP now recommends waiting to give water or juice until after 6 months (finally!)
My DD was born in July and she had only mommy milk until after 6 months.
Whether bf or ff, you want to look out for overheating when outside and what they're eating/drinking doesn't have an effect.

Persikka 05-24-2007 09:33 PM

i've nursed 2 babies both born in June (still nursing teh one born this past june :thumbsup: and we just nursed a lot... at some times every 45 minutes (between heat and growth spurts)...

also - not just baby - but YOU need to stay hydrated too! I kept a water bottle with me at ALL times with either water, or iced mothers milk tea or green tea (90% of the time - water though). It's taxing to produce milk and stay dry so drink up mama!