Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   potty training under 2yo experiences? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1537936)

karabeth05 08-09-2013 07:58 PM

potty training under 2yo experiences?

we started trying T on the potty this week and it is slow going, but it is going. i started with the three day potty training ebook and it didn't quite work for us, but we're pushing on. today is day 4 and he had two accidental successes (i have been taking him because he hasn't been prompting me) as well as a few accidents, and pooped in both his morning and nap time diapers. after we "failed" at the three day method, i kind of felt like maybe we should call it quits and try when he's a bit older, but on the other hand three days doesn't really seem realistic for every child so we're going to keep working at it. so what was your experience like? how did you go about it? how long did it take until they got the hang of using the potty reliably? :popcorn:

EmilytheStrange 08-09-2013 08:55 PM

I tried at 21 months. No dice.

Tried at 26-27 months and day 3 was the worst with several successes on day 2.

Tried at 33 months and day 3 was accident free. Accident free continued for a week and then some random accidents here and there.

That's all I can tell you.

I do think every child is different and I think some kids will just take longer. But I'm also of the opinion that when they're really ready, it doesn't take long to click.

KaliShanti 08-10-2013 07:40 PM

Re: potty training under 2yo experiences?

try ohcrappottytraining

TrishB 08-16-2013 11:36 AM

My daughter chose to go herself at 19 months old. I was comfortable taking her out in underwear within a few days. Not long later she is 100% dry at nap time and dry 50% of the time overnight. It really depends on the child.

Yarnjess 08-16-2013 12:06 PM

I read Diaper Free Before 3 and have started using the strategies in there. It seems a lot more low stress than the 3 day programs, especially for a young toddler. My DD is almost 14 months and just after her birthday we started putting her on the potty after naps and first thing in the morning as well as at diaper changes. The goal at first is to get them used to sitting on the potty. First thing after waking she usually goes in the potty and we clap and say yay, but don't make a big deal about it of she doesn't actually go. I'll say thank you for sitting on the potty and things like that. Soon I'm going to start taking her on a regular schedule (like every 30 or 60 minutes) during the day for a while to see if we can get more catches. And go coverless so I know sooner when she wets. She's starting to communicate with signs, so I'm hoping she'll start telling me before she goes. Currently she'll sometimes sign potty after she's wet.

ktp1382 09-10-2013 02:52 PM

We started potty training when my daughter was 21 months (after talking about it and introducing her to the idea a couple months earlier). She was telling me (for the most part) when she had to go within the first couple days. Week 2 was the worst though, then it got better again. It's a couple months later now, and over all she's really good (only one public accident ever) but we've only had a handful of accident-free days. She might pee a little then tells me and finishes on the potty. It's frustrating that she's not fully potty-trained yet, but then again she's started daycare again during this period (she's awesome there) and she's moved to a bed from her crib. So....lots of changes. I think some kids just take awhile. Those who go accident free in 3 days or a week or whatever are lucky!

caroline5 10-02-2013 01:28 PM

My daughter was potty-trained at 18 months. (It happened naturally after spending a lot of time playing on the potty!) My son is 2 and we haven't even started. It depends on the child and how consistent we are.

caroline5 10-02-2013 01:28 PM

My daughter was potty-trained at 18 months. (It happened naturally after spending a lot of time playing on the potty!) My son is 2 and we haven't even started. It depends on the child and how consistent we are.

mommabritt 10-02-2013 01:51 PM

Two of my boys were 100% trained in one day and night trained the next. I honestly have no clue how that happened. :giggle: They were 2.3 and 2.4 years.

One boy was 4. He is stubborn and he was just not ready. Once he was though, it was day and night at the same time.

Dd is 2.2 years. She is almost ready but not quite there. ;)

calvinhickey 10-02-2013 10:24 PM

My son was potty trained when he was 1.5 years.It is very tough job but the use to talk a lot with him when he use to do potty.This way it became quite easy for me to train him.Now he is used to it.