Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Water birth experience (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1537982)

Kburgess 08-10-2013 06:20 AM

Water birth experience

I'm pregnant with my third little one and this time around I was thinking of trying a water birth. If anyone could share their experience it would be great

EmilytheStrange 08-10-2013 03:52 PM

Well.. My vbac was a water birth. Now mind you, the hospital didn't allow me to deliver in the tub, but I didn't want to be in it anymore anyways.

I got in as a 4 and slightly less than an hour later, was a 10 and pushing. I can't say for sure if it helped. I was in an incredible amount of pain due to dilating so quickly with barely breathing time between contractions. I couldn't get comfortable at all. Again, if I progressed slower, might have been different. Maybe would have felt different with intact water, etc.

I think it's definitely something to try. Worst case scenario - you hate it and get out. No harm done.

dressagemom 08-10-2013 07:51 PM

Re: Water birth experience

My last (5th) birth was a home water birth. It was amazing! I labored out of the tub for about half my labor, and then just when I thought I couldn't handle any more, I got in the water. I immediately relaxed, and spent the second half of my labor so relaxed that I was almost sleeping. It was my easiest birth yet. I am planning another water birth with this baby.

yellowitchgrl 08-10-2013 08:08 PM

It was nice! It didn't help the pain as much as I'd hoped and I didn't have anything to hang on to (live and learn) but I definitely liked it. :)

~Cricket~ 08-11-2013 10:32 AM

I've laboured in the bath at home for 3 babies now, and I'm planning to use it for this upcoming delivery too. 2 out of the 3 have been delivered in the tub. We have a large whirlpool bath, so there was plenty of room to move around and room for the midwives to see and work as well.
I didn't use an actual birthing pool, which has other advantages and disadvantages. My tub isn't padded, and doesn't get quite as deep, but it is very easy to fill, and empty and clean, and it is big enough and deep enough to work for me.
I found that the water was incredibly helpful for relaxing during and between contractions, and that helped manage the pain substantially. It still hurts, but you can rest better between contractions, and not fight them when they come. My midwives wanted me out once or twice so that they could check me, and I couldn't wait to get back in the water!
Waterbirth is also associated with lower tear rates, and may provide some protection against GBS transmission.
I'd definitely recommend it!

taylor's mom 08-11-2013 02:29 PM

My last babe was a home water birth and was absolutely amazing. My other 3 were born in the hospital laying down on a bed (wasn't forced into that position, it was just the one that I instinctively picked). My first contraction with dd2 was at 12:30 am and woke me out of a sound sleep. From there they were fast and furious. We had gotten the "fishy" pool and dh had it filling by 2:30 I think, may have even been sooner. As soon as I jumped in I was able to start relaxing and my body wasn't tensing up with the contractions anymore. DD was born at 4:30am after about 15 minutes of pushing and was by far the easiest and most comfortable birth I've had!

Mamatoabunch 08-11-2013 05:55 PM

My last nine have been water births. Once I get in the water, things feel much less intense. I can't imagine not having a water birth, I will have another come January. I also hav never torn, I am confident being in water helped

bazil323 08-12-2013 12:16 PM

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but how did you keep the water warm enough?

I'm definitely thinking of at least trying to labor in the water (homebirth), but I'm afraid that the water will cool down and/or we will run out of hot water from refilling. We are remodeling our bathroom right now, and we installed a huge corner tub (think it's called a garden tub?) that I'm debating about whether or not it will work or should buy a birth tub (benefit being I could probably donate the tub to my midwife if I use a liner). It seems to stay warm for a long time, but since it's summer, I'm not doing lots of long soaks yet either.

Katie180 08-12-2013 12:23 PM

When I labored in water I never needed the temperature adjusted. I was hot from laboring and honestly didn't even notice the temp.

~Cricket~ 08-12-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazil323 (Post 16830731)
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but how did you keep the water warm enough?

I'm definitely thinking of at least trying to labor in the water (homebirth), but I'm afraid that the water will cool down and/or we will run out of hot water from refilling. We are remodeling our bathroom right now, and we installed a huge corner tub (think it's called a garden tub?) that I'm debating about whether or not it will work or should buy a birth tub (benefit being I could probably donate the tub to my midwife if I use a liner). It seems to stay warm for a long time, but since it's summer, I'm not doing lots of long soaks yet either.

Sounds like the tub I've delivered in at home, and it definitely works! It is quick and easy to fill, reheat, drain, and clean. But, it won't be as deep as a birthing pool and it isn't padded. It's just a matter of what you think you really need/want for labour. I haven't heard about others having trouble keeping the water warm in birthing pools so much. You should be about 5cm before you get in, and often 5-10cm doesn't take so terribly long anyways. I have definitely heard from moms who ran out of hot water before the tub was full though, and they ended up boiling pans of water on the stove to dump in. You might want to crank up your hot water heater when you get close to your due date. :thumbsup: