Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Will exercise decrease milk supply? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1538027)

Kburgess 08-10-2013 11:15 AM

Will exercise decrease milk supply?

I'm nervous to go back to krav maga after LO is born because I don't want to lose my milk supply

EmilytheStrange 08-10-2013 03:30 PM

They usually say wait 6 months for your milk supply to regulate. Some start earlier with no problems. I'd wait no less than 6 weeks at a minimum.

cacasey1981 08-10-2013 10:38 PM

Re: Will exercise decrease milk supply?

The main reason people see a drop in supply is because they aren't hydrating enough or they start to "diet" and cut calories at the same time. I'm in the military and have been able to start doing PT at 2 mo postpartum

abunchoflemons 08-11-2013 04:23 AM

yes make sure you still eat enough and drink enough as I know someone that had supply that was decent then started back asap after baby with px90 or whatever that one is and lost supply.

Van1300 08-11-2013 07:26 AM

Yep! Build up a good supply and take time to rest when the baby is born. I didn't start back running until 4 months post and still haven't run more than 6 miles at 9 months post.

clothdiapercrunchy 08-11-2013 08:33 AM

ok, I work out like a fitness competitor and also diet like one (I have been training to compete for years) and nurse. I have plenty of milk. You will not stop making milk unless you are so under nourished you are dying, we are talking major malnourishment. Your body will most likely not get low enough in body fat by just regular working out and as long as your baby is demanding, you should supply, (of course everyone's body is different and under stress may do something weird but generally with myself and my other fitness competitor friends, we do not lose our milk supply unless we were already struggling or struggled in the past). That said, is it always fun for me? No. I make lots of milk and feel like crap. I am overdosing on vitamins for B deficiency and anemia but that is caused by diet, not training. It is a choice I have personally made and I have to deal with it. You can totally work out.

Give yourself 6 weeks to rest not because of milk supply but because your body just ran a few marathons back to back, per say.

Just thought I should add, I started back at the gym at 6 weeks PP, walking and light weights and by 8 weeks PP I was back into heavy lifting and high intensity cardio. I am now 15 weeks PP with no supply issues at all.

BusyPAMommy 08-11-2013 08:58 AM

Yep, like pp had no problems with supply, began running again 4-5 weeks postpartum with both kids. Adequate hydration/nutrition is key. I always found gatorade really helped my supply but am now trying to keep those chemicals out of my diet--coconut water is a great natural alternative.

happiluv 08-13-2013 08:55 AM

It totally just depends. Every person is different. With DD #2 i started diet and exersize when she was 6 months. I had to keep eating 2000 calories a day to keep my milk up though. any lower and i would notice a dip in my milk supply (goes right back up when i ate enough)

tibeca 08-13-2013 10:10 AM

I'm one of those moms that has over supply, but the minute i try to diet, my supply tanks, hard. I'm not talking about an extreme diet either. I tried skipping my night time snack the last month (I was eating a single bowl of cereal right before bed) and eating more salads and less protein at dinner; and my supply tanked, my baby was cranky, I was cranky and my toddler kept getting cut short on night nursing because there was simply no milk. I get the starving feeling constantly, until I go back to eating at least 2000 calories a day, most of that protein. That said, I do exercise and as long as you respect your body by not over working yourself (so building up to a routine) you will be fine. Exercise is never bad for the body. Extreme dieting and working out for several hours each day (when you aren't used to that) can absolutely effect your supply.

keonli 08-13-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cacasey1981 (Post 16827626)
The main reason people see a drop in supply is because they aren't hydrating enough or they start to "diet" and cut calories at the same time. I'm in the military and have been able to start doing PT at 2 mo postpartum

Exactly! For some women, you need to have at least 1600 calories a day. Track your exercise and calories burned and make sure you eat at least that. I have been exercising since 12 weeks post partum and while the weight loss hasn't been too fantastic (unfortunately, some women hang onto the extra pounds until they wean), I have been able to keep my supply and stay active.

I also drink nursing tea, eat lactation cookies and have oatmeal daily since I also work and pump.

ETA: I also wanted to add that a diet high in protein and healthy fats seems to really help me. Don't stick to just salads, don't be afraid of calories. :) Good luck!