Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Question about fast labors (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1539712)

BeccaSueCongdon 08-18-2013 01:16 AM

Question about fast labors

I'm pregnant with #3 and planning a hospital VBAC. My first was a CS, and my second was a quick home birth VBAC. 12 hours of early labor and only 3 hours from start of active labor to baby being born.

When I think about the birth I keep envisioning it being so fast that we either don't make it to the hospital on time or even leave the house.

So I guess what my "question" is - for those of you who have fast labors and maybe even had an unplanned home birth or unplanned unassisted birth... What would you do for labor planning? How do you know when it's "too late" to get in the car and head to the hospital?

I feel like I should prepare for the possibility of an unplanned OOH/UC but not sure what to do.

lovin4u 08-18-2013 01:31 AM

Re: Question about fast labors

To be safe, maybe you should get to the hospital in the early labor stage? I would plan that it will be like #2 but quicker? For #4, my mother was 3 hours total, start to finish. I was also fast with #2 and waited too long at home but made it to the hospital and then gave birth almost immediately. If you are on the fence, then be prepared to do it at home, hopefully with some assistance.

BeccaSueCongdon 08-18-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovin4u
To be safe, maybe you should get to the hospital in the early labor stage? I would plan that it will be like #2 but quicker? For #4, my mother was 3 hours total, start to finish. I was also fast with #2 and waited too long at home but made it to the hospital and then gave birth almost immediately. If you are on the fence, then be prepared to do it at home, hopefully with some assistance.

That's part of my dilemma. I know the "right" thing to do would be to head there earlier in labor. I'm a VBAC, and a third time mama so the OB wants me there early. But I'm really not sure I want to do that. :-/ I'm scared of showing up too early and having to deal with hospital BS.

Keropisunshine23 08-18-2013 03:02 AM

My "active" labor was 19 mins long. I ended up having an unplanned, unassisted home water birth. I was in early labor for about 9 hours, but I thought it was false labor because they stayed 10 minutes apart until active labor and slowed down even further when I laid down. At 6:41pm, I sent my friend a picture of my daughter and I playing in the tub. I had the first contraction that made me stop what I was doing and I thought maybe my water broke. At 6:46 I had another strong contraction and felt a little like pushing so I texted my friend and told her she should come. At 6:51, I had another contraction and really felt like pushing. I knew on that third contraction we were not going to the hospital. She was born at 7pm and my friend arrived about 3 minutes later.

IF you are worried, I recommend creating a birth plan for this situation so that if it does happen, you have already have a mental note of what to do and what you want. I was texting my doula throughout the day and was able to get someone there in a hurry. She called 911 after she arrived. In hinds sight, we could have just driven there, but at the time she called 911, it was unclear how much blood I was losing. (I had low plateletts at the time of delivery and a history of severe uterine bleeding.)

Good luck!

abunchoflemons 08-18-2013 04:26 AM

I have had three and once my pains started being regular and the 5 mins apart I went.

MDever 08-18-2013 07:00 AM

I have really fast labors that became faster for each baby. The last 2 were under 20 contractions. If you are concerned you could print out the emergency birth manual so you guys could brush up a bit and make up a small birth kit with chucks, sterilized scissors, clamp, and clean towels or blankets just in case. That way you are not caught totally unaware.

MothyrGrimm 08-18-2013 08:14 AM

Maybe you can go somewhere close by? Like hang out at a mall or hotel even? That way you can labor close by, and can be there in a minute or two if need be. We're a tiny bit in the same situation, I didn't have a super fast labor but I'll be giving birth in the dead of winter in snow country with the hospital and hr and a half away. We plan on leaving as soon as labor hits or getting a hotel if a blizzard is expected. I'd rather be overly cautious than birth a baby in the car. :)

BeccaSueCongdon 08-18-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever
I have really fast labors that became faster for each baby. The last 2 were under 20 contractions. If you are concerned you could print out the emergency birth manual so you guys could brush up a bit and make up a small birth kit with chucks, sterilized scissors, clamp, and clean towels or blankets just in case. That way you are not caught totally unaware.

That's a good idea. Emergency birth manual and an "oops" kit.

BeccaSueCongdon 08-18-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm
Maybe you can go somewhere close by? Like hang out at a mall or hotel even? That way you can labor close by, and can be there in a minute or two if need be. We're a tiny bit in the same situation, I didn't have a super fast labor but I'll be giving birth in the dead of winter in snow country with the hospital and hr and a half away. We plan on leaving as soon as labor hits or getting a hotel if a blizzard is expected. I'd rather be overly cautious than birth a baby in the car. :)

And in addition to the "oops" kit we can probably just head over to the hospital campus without going in. It's a teaching hospital university campus with a lot of campus as well as a huge walking/biking park/path and tons of wooded recreational area close by. We've talked about packing up and going over early and doing a walk or just hanging out nearby. There's also a big neighborhood with lots of restaurants and pretty walking scenery down the hill.

MothyrGrimm 08-18-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon (Post 16845009)

And in addition to the "oops" kit we can probably just head over to the hospital campus without going in. It's a teaching hospital university campus with a lot of campus as well as a huge walking/biking park/path and tons of wooded recreational area close by. We've talked about packing up and going over early and doing a walk or just hanging out nearby. There's also a big neighborhood with lots of restaurants and pretty walking scenery down the hill.

Oh that sounds awesome! Much nicer than a mall or hotel. :)