Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Baby congestion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15399)

mrsott 06-18-2006 03:58 PM

Baby congestion

Today my baby seems congested in her chest. She does not havce a snotty noce, but seems to behaving, not necesarily a hard time, but harder than normal time breathing. She has been coughing which I have never heard her do. I had asthma as a baby and big sister has it...(half sister who wasnt bf) We'll take her to see the ped this week, but are there any remedies or anything you can reccommend to help open up her chest? I do not want to give her medicine orally until I talk to my ped... any ideas?? She is 2 days shy of 5 mos.

jaseyandmallorysmommy 06-18-2006 04:44 PM

Re: Baby congestion

Turn your shower on as hot as it will go and sit in the bathroom with the door shut. I will bring in toys and play on the floor because my babe always wants to get in the shower but it is toooooooo hot. But the steam will open her chest right up.

mrsott 06-18-2006 05:54 PM

I did take her in the shower w/ us, but of course that water does not get as hot as you are saying it needs to be to help... I will try that thanks!

geckoed 06-18-2006 06:54 PM

menthol rub on her undershirt, NOT her skin. It can absorb through the skin and actually overdose a baby but will open up a congested child. Is her color good? Are her nostrils flared? Is she retracting at all? (skin pulls in along the neck or ribs) Tiny babies have tiny airways. You can often do a "drive by" to the peds and get a nurse to do a quick listen for wheezing.

CMamma 06-18-2006 07:00 PM

Cool mist humidifier.

NOT TO SCARE but I just have to mention keep a close close eye on all symptoms & take to doc if you get concerned... these were symptoms for DS when he had RSV.

marelle4381 06-18-2006 07:02 PM

My son got congested from soy formula, I don't know if you breastfeed but if you use soy you might want to change that. The doctor told me that soy has a tendency to cause congestion.:headscratch:

MamaLove 06-18-2006 07:07 PM

Thyme and fenugreek help clear the lungs...you can drink these as teas and she'll get it through your milk. Traditional Medicinals makes one called Breathing Thyme. Elderberry, echinacea, and vitamin C are helpful, too.

Onions are also really good for clearing lungs, especially raw. Garlic is antibacterial and antiviral.

Eucalyptus oil and camphor oil clear congestion and kill germs...you can put it in the bath, on bedding, and clothes.

If you shower doesn't get hot enough to make a steamy bathroom, boil water and keep her by the steam.

Best wishes for easy breathing. :hugs: