Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Irish Twins (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1542822)

MrsCrafty 09-01-2013 09:12 AM

Irish Twins
 
My DD2 is 4 months old, and I just found out I'm 5 weeks(guessing based on clear blue pregnancy test that says how long since conception) pregnant!
Anyone else have Irish twins? Any advice? :goodvibes: we are very excited now that the shock has passed :giggle:

~Cricket~ 09-01-2013 02:46 PM

Re: Irish Twins
 
Mine aren't quite Irish twins - they're 13 months apart (and I have a 15 month gap between two as well).
But my advice would be not to listen to all the "oh my goodness you're going to be busy" and "how are you going to handle that?!" sort of talk. I was really worried that it would be unmanageable, with the way everyone talks about babies so close together. My older DD didn't walk for 3 months after her brother was born, and that meant I had to carry both of them, which was a little challenging, but for the most part, everything was just fine. The older one was still having two naps a day when the baby was born, and that was great!
The other thing I would suggest is that you take good care of yourself. You'll need energy to deal with the demands of another pregnancy and caring for these little ones. Eat WELL. Sleep LOTS. And EXERCISE!! Really. Make time for it. I started when I was expecting my "irish twin" and it has made a huge difference in my life. Increased my energy, decreased my stress level, and made me feel (and look!) a lot better all around.
Congrats on your pregnancy mama! Hope everything goes beautifully for you!

Hillargh 09-01-2013 03:15 PM

You're going to want to try to do everything for both of them at the same time, and it going to feel cruddy when you can't. But it will be okay, and you'll find a schedule. Alternating saved my sanity. For the first few months I tried to feed everyone at the same time, change everyone at the same time, etc. And I wanted to die. I felt like I was playing twister with bottles LOL. Then I realized, oh duh. They're two different people and need different things at different times. And life became SO much easier. We found our routine and things were far less stressful. So don't worry too much if you can't be SuperMom and do it all from the start. It's a figure it out sort of thing. And it's okay to ask for help! Take care of yourself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

MrsCrafty 09-01-2013 04:18 PM

Re: Irish Twins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ (Post 16879512)
Mine aren't quite Irish twins - they're 13 months apart (and I have a 15 month gap between two as well).
But my advice would be not to listen to all the "oh my goodness you're going to be busy" and "how are you going to handle that?!" sort of talk. I was really worried that it would be unmanageable, with the way everyone talks about babies so close together. My older DD didn't walk for 3 months after her brother was born, and that meant I had to carry both of them, which was a little challenging, but for the most part, everything was just fine. The older one was still having two naps a day when the baby was born, and that was great!
The other thing I would suggest is that you take good care of yourself. You'll need energy to deal with the demands of another pregnancy and caring for these little ones. Eat WELL. Sleep LOTS. And EXERCISE!! Really. Make time for it. I started when I was expecting my "irish twin" and it has made a huge difference in my life. Increased my energy, decreased my stress level, and made me feel (and look!) a lot better all around.
Congrats on your pregnancy mama! Hope everything goes beautifully for you!

Thanks so much, I'm already bracing myself for the comments we'll get, but we are very excited! Thanks for all the advice, definitely trying to take extra good care of myself :-)

MrsCrafty 09-01-2013 04:19 PM

Re: Irish Twins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillargh (Post 16879554)
You're going to want to try to do everything for both of them at the same time, and it going to feel cruddy when you can't. But it will be okay, and you'll find a schedule. Alternating saved my sanity. For the first few months I tried to feed everyone at the same time, change everyone at the same time, etc. And I wanted to die. I felt like I was playing twister with bottles LOL. Then I realized, oh duh. They're two different people and need different things at different times. And life became SO much easier. We found our routine and things were far less stressful. So don't worry too much if you can't be SuperMom and do it all from the start. It's a figure it out sort of thing. And it's okay to ask for help! Take care of yourself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Thank you, that will be important! :goodvibes:

dagmomma 09-01-2013 04:23 PM

Re: Irish Twins
 
Congrats!

chanelbarbie 09-01-2013 05:33 PM

Re: Irish Twins
 
I have them and it was actually great once the youngest was around 1. It's hard for a 12 month old to be able to understand that they can't poke the newborn in the eye, etc, but eventually they become the best playmates with a special bond :)

mama2myangels09 09-01-2013 06:28 PM

Re: Irish Twins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chanelbarbie (Post 16879778)
I have them and it was actually great once the youngest was around 1. It's hard for a 12 month old to be able to understand that they can't poke the newborn in the eye, etc, but eventually they become the best playmates with a special bond :)

Yep my 2nd and 3rd are 11 months and 2 days apart. The first thing #2 tried to do when we brought #3 home was poke him in the eye. Now they get along great.

Believer318 09-02-2013 08:01 PM

Re: Irish Twins
 
I am pregnant with my sixth and my oldest will still be six when the baby is born. We get all kinds of comments. We love it. My kids are best friends. We have done the hard work with training them and they are a great joy "most of the time" to be around! Congrats on the pregnancy. Enjoy it!

MrsCrafty 09-04-2013 10:05 AM

Re: Irish Twins
 
Thanks everyone! I still don't really *feel* pregnant, which is probably a good thing since I've had such bad m/s with my others! I feel like the beginning will be easier since I can just wear the new LO while I chase DD2 around, but once they're both moving, that will be harder! :giggle:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors