Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Horrible pain after C-section (sister's story) - could something be wrong? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1542963)

expaik 09-02-2013 06:44 AM

Horrible pain after C-section (sister's story) - could something be wrong?

My sister had her first baby yesterday. I feel the delivery unit may have botched something, because here's what happened.

Her water broke at 11 p.m. the night before, and after six hours of nonprogressive labor, the hospital decided to administer pitocin. They said they wanted to insert some kind of intrauterine fetal monitor, and when they went to do that, she had the most excruciating pain, as if something was been torn apart in there. And there was a huge gush of blood. And right after that insertion, the baby's heartrate began to get extremely erratic (almost disappearing, then reappearing, etc.).

After a few minutes they decided she had to have an emergency C-section.

Baby was delivered successfully, but after a few hours my sister's pain level went to a 10. And she is the most stoic person about pain I know. It was so bad the nurse administered a humongous amount of XXX and YYY (I cannot remember the names of the drugs) and then my sister was completely knocked out for the rest of the afternoon and evening. She couldn't rouse herself for anything. The nurse said it was a very extreme dose they gave her, and when I questioned why, they said "because we couldn't get her pain level down".

I was given pitocin at my first birth and wasn't required to get anything inserted in the uterus - I have no idea why the doctors wanted to do that. Has anyone had experience with this intrauterine insertion and then horrible pain during and after it? Could it be that something was ruptured or torn in the uterine cavity by the procedure?

ambieone 09-02-2013 07:24 AM

Re: Horrible pain after C-section (sister's story) - could something be wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that they were trying to attach a monitor to the baby's head. Its small and looks like a wire, it goes right under the skin on the baby's head. Its a more accurate way for them to monitor the baby. The docs tried to use one on my dd when I was in labor but they couldn't get it on her head. There was no gush of blood involved when they tried to do it to me.

It could be possible that they reptured something.....but I don't know much about that.

How is she doing today?

expaik 09-02-2013 07:27 AM

Haven't talked to her yet. It's still 5:30 a.m. here...

Agla 09-02-2013 08:15 AM

Totally conjecturing but is it possible that they injured her uterus with the elelectrode that was supposed to attach to the baby. Those devices do cause wounds on babies on some occasions. Tthe uterus would be exacerbate because her uterus is contracting naturally to get back into its usual size. I can imagine that the agitation of an open wound would be extremely painful.

I would watch for any signs of fever.

I don't like that they heavily medicated her like that without trying to find a cause for her pain.

Pixi6s 09-08-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambieone (Post 16880586)
The only thing I can think of is that they were trying to attach a monitor to the baby's head. Its small and looks like a wire, it goes right under the skin on the baby's head. Its a more accurate way for them to monitor the baby. The docs tried to use one on my dd when I was in labor but they couldn't get it on her head. There was no gush of blood involved when they tried to do it to me.

It could be possible that they reptured something.....but I don't know much about that.

How is she doing today?

I had a friend that had this done and this is what I thought too. That baby was born vaginally with no issues to baby or mom.

mommy2fourmunchkins 09-08-2013 11:46 AM

I've had one with almost all of my babies. I never had any pain or bleeding from them. Sounds like they must have injured her somehow. That's definitely not something I've ever heard of with the internal monitoring.

Agla 09-08-2013 11:50 AM

Any updates.

Tida 09-08-2013 12:56 PM

Your sister should ask her doctor what happened. Even if it was coincidence that they were trying to attach an electrode while her body suddenly shot out blood, it could have important consequences for the future that should be discussed. Will this delay healing? Should she get more help around the house and have them stay longer? Are there things she should know for her next baby? If nothing else, knowing what happened should allay any fears of the unknown.

If the doctor seems to be beating around the bush, you can always get a copy of the medical records.

MsBurrows 09-08-2013 04:45 PM

My doctor insisted on an internal fetal monitor with mine. I think part of the reason was because they were upping my pitocin. Between that and the epidural, my babies heart rate went screwy too and suddenly dr is all "we need to get this baby out now" and thankfully that's exactly what I did. No emergency c-section.

I didn't experience anything like your sister did though, and I'd want to get to the bottom of it. Good luck with that though, because whenever I voiced the idea that maybe everything with mine wasn't perfect they acted like I was a crazy person.

BellaPepper 09-08-2013 05:34 PM

It definitely sounds like something went wrong. My guess is that she may have ruptured her placenta. I would question the doc and if he is vague or allusive I would ask for a copy of the medical records. Happy to hear that baby and Mom are OK!