Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Prepping used diapers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1543363)

Niecie75 09-04-2013 09:08 AM

Prepping used diapers

Hi, bought a bunch of used cd's and was wondering how I should prep them before our newbie arrives. Thanks!

Yarnjess 09-04-2013 09:14 AM

Re: Prepping used diapers

What kind of diapers are they?

For used diapers people usually strip and/or sanitize. I run all used diapers through a sanitize cycle on my machine. If they're prefolds or flats you could build them. Everything else use bleach or some other natural germicide (H2O2, tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract).

erinofgod 09-04-2013 09:33 AM

With prefolds, flats and inserts I wash them separately and use a bit of bleach. With other things I wash on hot with extra detergent and some GSE and do plenty of extra rinses to make sure that there is no build up in them from the last owners. So far this has worked out really well for us.

mariposablue 09-04-2013 09:36 AM

I'm newer to this and had looked into this as well. I wrote down notes but they're at home. I think I washed with 1/4 cup bleach and detergent on hot. I put everything in - PF's, covers, pockets, AIO's. Then a hot wash with detergent. Then a hot wash, and then a few cold rinses.

Niecie75 09-04-2013 09:47 AM

I have prefolds, fitteds, covers, aio's, and grovia shells and inserts. I also have a front loader, which I do not like. So maybe add a little bleach with the inserts and prefolds?
Thanks!!

swrlgrl105 09-04-2013 11:17 AM

you can even throw pockets/ AIO's in with a little bleach. I use a little bleach each load with all my diapers and they come put perfectly fine, no damage. its the best way to kill any unknown bacteria from someone else.

Jbfunkadelica 09-04-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

What kind of diapers are they?

For used diapers people usually strip and/or sanitize. I run all used diapers through a sanitize cycle on my machine. If they're prefolds or flats you could build them. Everything else use bleach or some other natural germicide (H2O2, tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract).
how much tea tree oil?

phoebecloth 09-04-2013 08:36 PM

Is everyone using color-safe bleach or regular bleach but just a small amount? Sorry, FTM here...

BubBubsMom 09-04-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebecloth
Is everyone using color-safe bleach or regular bleach but just a small amount? Sorry, FTM here...

Regular bleach

tjs77tsa 09-04-2013 08:41 PM

Regular bleach in a small amount but it isn't enough to kill germs in the amount everyone says to use. To actually have the bleach be germicidal you would have to use a 1/10 solution for ten minutes which would ruin your diapers.