Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Juggling Homeschool and Work? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1544066)

Blooms4210 09-07-2013 03:46 PM

Juggling Homeschool and Work?

I am an RN so I have a pretty flexible schedule, but what do you do with your kiddos while you work?

HMinshall 09-07-2013 05:05 PM

Re: Juggling Homeschool and Work?

What ages are your kids? Are they old enough to be left alone? I would leave them independent work to do. If they are too young, you are going to need to find a babysitter, I guess, or your spouse (if you have one.)

Psychomom 09-07-2013 09:00 PM

Mine's easy because she's 16 and mostly independent. I work Tue/Thur from 9-3; she works on her own nearly all the time, but my husband works from home on those days just so she's not alone. (My other kids go to school.)

CCRMSS 09-09-2013 07:49 AM

I work 2 days a week and my kids go to daycare those 2 days. We send them to the home of another homeschool family. I send some work with DD for her to do there, and the hope is that she will learn along with dcp's kids (who are similar ages) those two days. We then do our school the three days I am home and will supplement on weekends as necessary. I figure at the K level this is fine, but as she gets older, we might need to adjust things some.

CCRMSS 09-09-2013 08:06 AM

Duplicate

tibeca 09-09-2013 04:43 PM

I know a mom that traded with another homeschooling mom. During the time they traded kids, they would teach something that the other was deficient in. I believe the trade was one mom taught all the kids french. The other did physics!

All my work is done at night, or when our mother's helper is here. That said, school is only 4 days a week, so I don't worry if I take up a day doing something other than school.

7mom7 09-10-2013 01:49 PM

I have always worked. I used to work from home so I wouldn't even start until the kids were in bed. It wasn't ideal and it made me pretty sleepy/grumpy the next day. I currently work in the medical field on Saturday and Sunday. I only work those 2 days each week. We have family close by but they have full time jobs so they can't babysit on a consistent basis during the week. I'm not comfortable with leaving my kids with other people so working the weekends was my only option. If you worked 2, 12 hour shifts you'd still be earning a decent amount of money. My husband and I set aside an evening each week for date night and we still have lots of family time during the week. My husband doesn't earn a huge salary so I have to work. I don't love missing out on stuff that happens over the weekend but we make it work. I do love that I'm free Monday through Friday to do field trips etc. I love that I don't feel rushed or tired all the time like I felt when I was working from home. Overall it's a great schedule. If you still needed to work full time I'd probably consider working Thursday, Friday, and Saturday overnight. It really depends on your husband's schedule too. My husband happens to be home a lot, he gets off at a consistent time each day, and he doesn't travel.

7 for now 09-10-2013 04:30 PM

I worked as a nurse PT from 3-11. DH watched the kids when I worked.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum