Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Good recipes that use applesauce? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1547039)

beyoung 09-23-2013 04:36 AM

Good recipes that use applesauce?

I've been busy making applesauce from all the apples we've picked from trees around our house. We've got LOTS and you can only eat so much applesauce. Does anyone have good recipes for baked goods that use applesauce? I've got a good applesauce muffin recipe but I'm looking for other ideas. Thanks!

Cathypie 09-23-2013 04:53 AM

Put some in the crock pot with a pork roast. I even add cinnamon and nutmeg.

jbug_4 09-23-2013 05:18 AM

Re: Good recipes that use applesauce?

Not a baked good but apple cinnamon pancakes. Mix some applesauce with a little cinnamon and little brown sugar- to taste for both. Put your regular pancake batter on the griddle/pan, then swirl about a tablespoon full of the apple sauce onto the uncooked top of the pancake. Then cook like normal. I tried a recipe like this that used tons of butter and was a lot of work and then found the healthy version using applesauce- tastes the same and its so much easier then the other one.

I use applesauce for oil subs on most of my recipes. Also use it make granola- this is where I use most of my apple sauce. If you like apple butter you can use the apple sauce to make apple butter. You can make flavored applesauce pretty easily if that helps you eat more- puree some strawberries, blueberries or peaches to mix in. There was something I made recently that used applesauce but I can't remember what it was. it was good too. I'll have to think about it.

jbug_4 09-23-2013 05:19 AM

Oh and if you haven't made all of it into applesauce you can make apple pie filling (are you canning it?)

beyoung 09-23-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbug_4 (Post 16931889)
Oh and if you haven't made all of it into applesauce you can make apple pie filling (are you canning it?)

Already got pies/filling in the freezer using the good cooking apples :goodvibes: The apples that are left don't really cook up well in pies but they make good sauce. It's all going in the freezer - don't have anywhere to store canned goods but we do have a pretty big freezer!

Thanks for the ideas everyone - keep them coming! If you've got ideas for things other than baked goods, that's great too - for some reason, it just hadn't occurred to me to use applesauce in main dishes etc.

crystalanne79 09-23-2013 06:56 AM

I use applesauce in place of the oil/butter in most of my baking recipes. Banana bread is really moist when using applesauce and is my fave.

danielle 09-23-2013 12:17 PM

I have a cake recipe that requires applesauce. I can go find that.