Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1549023)

Joyful Tie Dyes 10-02-2013 09:11 PM

Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

Curious to have opinions of both believers and nonbelievers

mibarra 10-02-2013 09:16 PM

Nonbeliever here. Never without permission. Religious beliefs are a deeply personal choice.

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-02-2013 09:16 PM

No.imo it is not appropriate without consent and I would find that a breach of trust and would cut ties with them. My exinlaws who are religious know.this is.a hard boundary for and I and know.the consequences if they ever did that.

coffeemama 10-02-2013 09:22 PM

Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 16955107)
Nonbeliever here. Never without permission. Religious beliefs are a deeply personal choice.

I am a believer and agree w/ this however, we wont change the way we do things just because of others that believe differently. :thumbsup:

kelpie169 10-02-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
No.imo it is not appropriate without consent and I would find that a breach of trust and would cut ties with them. My exinlaws who are religious know.this is.a hard boundary for and I and know.the consequences if they ever did that.

This. Including the in laws. Except mine aren't ex.

Fashionably Green Baby 10-02-2013 09:26 PM

Atheist here. No it it not cool without permission

mamacita1222 10-02-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra

Exactly. I would be so freaked out if DS came home one day raving about the Prophet Muhammad or any religious figurehead. I also want to know ahead of time what might be discussed about Christ (we are "believers") just so I'm prepared.

MommyLyssa 10-02-2013 09:35 PM

Without parental consent, no.

Now, we DO share the Gospel with the neighborhood kids that hang out in our yard all day. It is part of our day. We read our Bibles in our yard while having a picnic. We talk about these things when they aren't here. But, these kids are in my yard, with no parents to be seen for hours. So, I don't consider it the same thing. We do not evangelize/prostelyize to young children when we go out street evangelizing/preaching unless the parents are there and aware.

Oh, I am sure it is all pretty obvious, but we are believers/born again Christians here :) I didn't think to mention that the first time, but I guess I should just in case, huh?

BoyCrazy 10-02-2013 09:43 PM

No, parents should be present and involved in any religious discussion with their children. We are LDS and I would be very unhappy if someone of another faith (or a nonbeliever) was trying to convert my child behind my back.

ETA I think I need to clarify--by "discussion" I mean a proselyting discussion like the thread title seems to refer to. I wouldn't have a problem with someone explaining their belief to my children as long as it wasn't done in an "I am right and you are wrong", intending to convert sort of way.

cbreeding 10-02-2013 09:45 PM

Believer here (Christianity). I would not do anything to try and convert another child (or person) just not my style, however I would not change our ways just because we had guests. For example, we pray before meals. I would still pray but I wouldn't do any type of explanation nor expect the child to pray with us just sit respectfully until the prayer was done. Also, if a child asked me about my faith or God, I would probably say something but then let the parent know what was asked and what I said.

Most of my friends and the children that are around have a Christian background, yet even still there are a lot of differences in the application and how people practice. I try and be sensitive and understanding that other families raise their families differently than mine but I will not hide my faith.