Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Is home schooling good (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1549049)

calvinhickey 10-03-2013 04:03 AM

Is home schooling good

My son is 2 years old and I was wondering if he should go to school or i should do homeschooling.Please suggest

NewMommy6111 10-03-2013 07:59 AM

Re: Is home schooling good

Yes, home schooling is good. And it should be an option for every parent/child/family. For some families the benefits of public school outweigh the benefits of homeschooling, but that is a very personal decision that only you and your DH (just assuming, I don't mean any offense if that is not your situation) are able to make. You will of course consider your child's personality, which may be very different 3 years from now. Do some research and keep an open mind.

CCRMSS 10-03-2013 11:24 AM

That's a pretty loaded question, lol.

Yes is my short answer. But really, there are sooo many factors that will determine whether or not it is good for you specifically. Your personality and your child's personality. Your desire to (if you don't want to, then no, you shouldn't). Do you have the skills or the desire to learn the skills necessary to teach? What are your goals for your family and how does that fit into homeschooling (for us, we want a Christian education but can't afford private school, we want more time with our kids at home, we want to structure the curriculum to each child individually, and we want to bypass the garbage of teaching to a test. We are not ready to expose our kids to a lot of things that come with being in public school- mainly language, fights, bullies- but we feed into a fairly bad elementary school so that is not necessarily am issue at every school). Do you have a support system within your family and/or community?

The benefit of homeschooling is that it is very fluid. If something isn't working, you change it. And if your child, or you, is not doing well with it, you always always have the option to send your child to public. It's not a one size fits all, there are so many methods and curriculums and styles. And you can do it for as long or as short as you want to. The key is to see your child growing academically, developmentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally, and socially, by whatever means you feel is best for your child.

But nothing is black and white- I know some incredibly successful homeschool families, and I know some families that did an immense disservice to their children by homeschooling them (learning disabilities that were ignored, lack of teaching or supervision over education, basically kids who were allowed to play video games all day while mom wrote their papers for them). Your success will be based on how much you are willing to put into it, but also remember that while it is a fantastic and by far the best option for a lot of families, it is not for every family or every child.

So is homeschooling good? Yes. Is public school good? Yes. Both can be good or bad depending on the child, teacher, parent, environment, curriculum, etc.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-03-2013 11:59 AM

I don't really think anyone can advise you. You need to decide for yourself if it's right for your family.

You are asking a bunch of HS'ing parents. Of course we think HS'ing is good. I would like to think we don't do it just because we are lazy and don't want to get up early enough to get our kids on the bus. :giggle: It isn't the only option and not necessarily best for YOUR family.

But, in answer to your question...yes, I think MY homeschool is good and far superior to PS in all ways that are important to me including academics. :)

ktmelody 10-03-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 16956362)
I don't really think anyone can advise you. You need to decide for yourself if it's right for your family.

You are asking a bunch of HS'ing parents. Of course we think HS'ing is good. I would like to think we don't do it just because we are lazy and don't want to get up earlier enough to get our kids on the bus. :giggle: It isn't the only option and not necessarily best for YOUR family.

But, in answer to your question...yes, I think MY homeschool is good and far superior to PS in many ways that are important me including academics.

Yup. This.

No one can answer that question. Homeschooling is good for us. But i know people that shouldn't homeschool. And people who think it's bad. So there is no right or wrong answer.

Sha-nanagins 10-03-2013 12:35 PM

As previous posters have said, yes, homeschooling is good. The question is, is it good for your son and your family? I have friends who successfully have homeschooled all of their 4 children (youngest is in 1st grade, oldest is a high school junior). For them, it was very good. I have another friend who homeschooled her older child, but enrolled the younger in school. She and the younger child ended up locked in a daily battle of wills over school, partly because his learning style was very different than hers, and they just couldn't seem to get past it. He did much, much better when mom could just be mom, and someone else could be teacher.

Anyway, there are lots of questions you will need to answer before deciding on the best course for you, including -

1) Does your financial/work situation allow your family to have a parent at home during the day to do homeschool?

2) What are the laws regarding homeschooling in your state? Some states are easy, some are much more complicated. Can you meet your state's requirements?

3) What are the school options in your area? Are you considering homeschool because you feel the schools in your area are inadequate/unsafe/too expensive/etc. to meet your family's needs?

4) Does your child exhibit signs of ADHD (and you won't be able to answer this one until Kindergarten)? If so, he may do better at home than in a classroom full of other kids.

5) Does your child thrive on structure? If so, are you able to provide a consistent academically structured homeschool situation, or would a classroom be better?

6) Does your child have special educational needs? If so, are you able to meet those needs, and would it be easier to meet those needs outside of a traditional classroom? or would a school with teachers who have special training in working with children with his needs be better?

7) Is your child more or less emotionally/socially mature than his peers? If there is a big difference, he may do better with homeschool.

8) Does your child's academic ability match his/her emotional/social abilities? (e.g., a 5 year old who already reads at a 3rd grade level, but who behaves more like a 3 year old is probably not going to do well in a Kindergarten classroom).

9) Do you and your child tend to battle about getting work done? Is he constantly challenging your authority? If so, homeschool may be an exercise in frustration for you both - school may be better.

luvof3boyz 10-03-2013 05:47 PM

If you are a Christian I would pray a lot about it and seek the Bible for instruction. It is not silent about how we educate our children.

newbiemama 10-06-2013 06:31 PM

it makes the most sense for our family. we live in a urban area, so there is no limit to what type of school we could send our children to- private, public, charter, montessori- but homeschooling makes the most sense for us.

you have to talk to your partner and think about it a lot. it's not a decision to take lightly, but with a 2 year old you have time to explore all options.

good luck!

mom2kaydncolt 10-08-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 16956362)

You are asking a bunch of HS'ing parents. Of course we think HS'ing is good. I would like to think we don't do it just because we are lazy and don't want to get up early enough to get our kids on the bus. :giggle: It isn't the only option and not necessarily best for YOUR family.

But, in answer to your question...yes, I think MY homeschool is good and far superior to PS in all ways that are important to me including academics. :)

Wait! That isn't a real reason to homeschool?? :giggle: Honestly the fact that I'm not a morning person is what got me into researching homeschooling. Of course it isn't the reason we homeschool, we LOVE homeschooling. I love that my kids spend all day together, that they are friends and not just obnoxious siblings, and I LOVE getting to watch them learn and being the one to teach them.

I agree with the others though it's definitely a personal decision for each family to make for themselves.

Namiko 10-08-2013 03:07 PM

If your LO is 2 then you still have some time decide. In the meantime, you can try doing preschool homeschool style and see how that works for you. :)