Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How to quit supplementing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1549621)

amykins 10-05-2013 10:41 PM

How to quit supplementing?

I have a 7 week old DD and about a month ago, I had mastitis, which seriously affected my supply (which I have never had an issue with before). For about a week I was offering a bottle after most feedings, but have been able to drop all of them besides the bedtime one. She usually drinks 1.5-2 oz after I nurse her, so I feel bad just dropping it, as she is hungry. I am drinking lots of water, on fenugreek, eating enough, and letting her nurse as long as she wants. She has been a good sleeper from the start, though, and has a pretty long chunk of sleep, so not necessarily round the clock (and I really don't want to pump or wake her every two hours at night...this is my first good sleeper and I don't want to ruin it). Is there a good way to drop it? Just do it? Help!

bpirof 10-06-2013 07:12 AM

Have you tried pumping after she nurses? I had a similar routine going with my lo and finally got off supplementing right benefited I had to go back to work... Which killed my supply again! But pumping after a feeding and making sure she's emptying both breasts completely should help, if she does long sleep stretches you can get up and pump at night as well and that could give you a boost.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

l_Kimmie_l 10-06-2013 08:06 AM

Re: How to quit supplementing?

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Try some fenugreek pills to boost your supply.

UVASahm 10-06-2013 08:11 AM

Don't? That would be my advice. There is nothing wrong with supplementing and I really don't think that one bottle is going to affect your supply.

eliz7 10-06-2013 11:27 AM

I would drop it and you will make the milk for her. She might nurse a bit more for a few days but then you will catch up. She is so young. Your supply is still building. Now is the time to build your supply for the coming year.

s@hmommy 10-06-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliz7 (Post 16962998)
I would drop it and you will make the milk for her. She might nurse a bit more for a few days but then you will catch up. She is so young. Your supply is still building. Now is the time to build your supply for the coming year.

This. If the affected side doesn't produce more the other one may instead. Either way she will get enough.

I have had mastitis three times now on the same side, that side doesn't produce as much as it initially did but the other side is making more. I have lopsided boobs now but it's worth it to me.

amykins 10-06-2013 01:55 PM

I am already drinking lots of water ans taking fenugreek. And, while I only had mastitis on one side, it definitely affected my supply in both, for some reason.. I will have to try just dropping it..will let you all know.

RainandRedemption 10-06-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliz7

This is what I was going to say

Eta- I forgot to say, eat oatmeal or mini wheats (or other whole grains food) before bed. I notice a big boost in my supply after eating either of these

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

amykins 10-07-2013 09:30 AM

well, didn't supplement last night and had a normal night! In fact, a really good night. I was afraid she would be up a lot hungry, but she did great. She might eat a lot today, though- we'll see. Thanks for telling me to just do it!

l_Kimmie_l 10-07-2013 09:47 AM

Great!!!