Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How important is the meaning of a name to you? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1550688)

bobbyjk 10-11-2013 03:11 AM

How important is the meaning of a name to you?

DH and I are talking names for our DD due in December. I don't place too much importance on the meaning of a name, but I always look it up to see. We are liking the name Miriam, but the meaning is "sea of bitterness" or "sea of sorrow" - though some say it could mean "wished for child". I'll stick with the last meaning if choose the name, but I hate that she'll look up her name and see it mostly comes up as bitter/sorrowful. :blush:

How much influence does the meaning of a name have for you when picking names for you children?

qsefthuko 10-11-2013 03:26 AM

Re: How important is the meaning of a name to you?

Not one bit of influence on naming choices. It is in our house, no more than an interesting tid bit that means absolutely nothing.

Solomon's Mama 10-11-2013 03:29 PM

It is really important to us to either have a strong meaning or to be named after someone who was an awesome person. My kids have a mix of both. My son's name means peaceful and his middle name is after my dad. Found out 2 months after he was born my dad's name means divine peace. Then we found out just in the last year that DS has 2 ancestors that he shares his name with that we never knew about. We already thought names were important, but that just kinda solidified it for us. Too much to be coincidence!

DD2's name will be Esther, which means star. Not the most exciting meaning, but everything she did and stood for in the bible is what we like about it. So even if a meaning isn't that great, there are other things to consider such as people that were named that or other possible meanings. So if you like Miriam, go with the nicer meaning :) If names really are important, then I would think it is the intention and heart behind the choice that makes it important, KWIM?

kannondicarpo 10-11-2013 03:41 PM

Absolutely everything. Each of our children have been named with GREAT purpose behind the meaning of their name. *I* believe that you grow into the meaning of your name. Mine means "wise", my sister's means "warrior", my husband's means "kind" and the 3 of us are every bit those things.

That being said, I know that names can have multiple meanings and I'm totally game for speaking the best one over them!

cbreeding 10-11-2013 03:49 PM

Meanings play a little bit in our decision, but it more so what they could garner about people that have had their same name. Although that may be the meaning of a certain name, looking at the origin of Miriam in the Bible and what it says about her and her actions may be a better meaning than just a few words as a description.

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-11-2013 03:50 PM

Meaning doeant mean anything to me

SweetMamaKaty 10-11-2013 04:17 PM

Definitely a deciding factor. We start with a name we like, then make sure we're happy with the meaning. We have eliminated names we like if the meaning doesn't suit us. :)

Kyonarai 10-11-2013 05:18 PM

IT does mean a lot to me, as does the numerology of a name.

That said, my two children both have first names with no searchable meaning, as they were made up by me, and yielded nothing on google.

-My dd is Casdia Lynn(Lynn means pond or water, and is her grandfather's middle name), and my ds is Kevadi Christopher(Christopher means Christ bearer, and is his daddy's name. My name is Krista, which also means Christ bearer, as it's the female variant of Christopher.)

Our last name we joke means 'Orphan farmer' because it has, at different points in history, meant 'orphanage worker' or 'farmer'.

With names, I've found that people either really fit their name, or are the exact opposite. For instance, my middle name means bitter, and I don't really consider myself a bitter person. I do struggle with depression on occasion, but overall try to be happy and joyful as much as possible.

crunchy kell 10-14-2013 06:53 PM

Quite a bit. We chose Avielle for our second daugher, which is a feminine form of Aviel, a Hebrew name meaning "God is my Father." It felt very, very fitting for her in ways that can only be described as spiritual (not just religious, but also having to do with HER spirit.)

I believe meaning does matter. It's not everything, but I fell in love with Charlotte, but just couldn't do it, as it's a feminine form of Charles, which means dim-sighted. But in the end, we found Avielle and it's a million times better in my book, anyway. We occasionally explicitly discuss each of the meanings of the kids' names and what they mean/why we chose them. I figure it's more likely to have a lasting impact if they think about it from time to time. :)

mrseum 10-14-2013 07:43 PM

Very. We don't choose names just because we like them, like apple, brown, & all that business. We go for Biblical names, and the names we have chosen this far seem to suit our boys very well. Only trouble is trying to fid one for our third boy! We had Isaac (ds1) and Caleb (ds2).