Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Did the Chiropractor REALLY work??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1552456)

trying4more 10-20-2013 12:01 AM

Did the Chiropractor REALLY work???

I'm having HORRID back pain. I had it before I got pregnant, but it's 100x worse now. Tylenol does nothing, can't take Mortin, won't take Narcotics.

I was thinking of going to a chiropractor. I've called around and the basic price is $85-100 initial visit, then $55-85 for follow up treatments.
At this point I'm willing to pay that much....if it works!
This pain is ridiculous!!!

Did it work for you?
How many treatments did it take until the pain was gone, or at least less intense?

LadybugMonkey 10-20-2013 01:02 AM

I found it helped with my back and hip pain but I quickly realized that there are a lot of different techniques and mentalities that go with chiropractors.

Personally I prefer one that looks at the whole picture and tries to remedy the cause of the problem with stretches and strengthening exercises between visits. It can take a while to see good results but the results last. The one I currently go to uses more pressure points then cracking so I'm a lot less worried about something going wrong. I usually only go in a handful of time each year now. He was also able to noticed the ppd I had been trying to hide and helped me through it.

I found initially quite a few just like to crack you and send you on your way. Great temporary relief but you have to always keep going back.

kaydove 10-20-2013 02:02 AM

Try to find one that's gentle. When I was pregnant and knocked a rib out of place, I made sure to find one that's Webster trained.
My previous chiro was not gentle at all. She man handled me and I feel like it made it worse.

trying4more 10-20-2013 11:41 AM

Re: Did the Chiropractor REALLY work???

good to know. Thanks!

qsefthuko 10-20-2013 12:21 PM

It worked for me. I felt better the next day. I did need several visits to feel completely out of pain.

It also worked for my 1 week old son. I saw almost instant results in him. His pain was making nursing painful for him. As a result he refused to suck. When I look at his nb photos he looks like he is in pain. Within minutes of his first visit he was nursing very avidly. For complete results it did take 2 visits. I took him back for a 3rd visit but the chiro said he nolonger needed to be adjusted after checking him over.

trying4more 10-20-2013 01:10 PM

That's interesting. I was thinking of taking my 10 year old DD. She is always complaining of back pain. I'm wondering if she needs some adjustment.

I just need something. I'm sick of freezing up because I've pinched a nerve.

Ellasundies 10-20-2013 03:02 PM

I broke my back several years ago. I was treated solely by a chiro. It did wonders for me. The osteopath wanted to put me in a back brace, the chiro did not (I wasn't on ANY pain meds so I was WELL aware of what my limits were). I would have been one huge mass of scar tissue today if I would have gone with the back brace treatment option.

Now I just go in for maintenance work very occasionally. I find I get more bang for my buck if I get a massage a day before the chiro. Only once or twice since the accident did my chiro tell me I had to come in for a repeat visit. My chiro is my cousin and he only charges me the cost of a sandwich or two :) so when he says I have to come back I know I have to come back.

You don't need someone trained in the Webster technique. According to several of the chiros I know the WT is just a method of assessing the patient to see where things are tight and where they aren't. The same thing can be accomplished by any good chiro. The chiro I know in the area who is certified in the WT is not a very good chiro. The quality of the Dr. is more important then what technique they are familiar with.

Teexie 10-20-2013 04:37 PM

Yes, definitely works for me.

As far as how long it takes, here are my experiences. I had been having back/hip/neck pain from hauling around my huge baby and sleeping funny all night (cosleeping with a total diva). That pain had been going on for about 8 months and I felt great after 3-4 weeks of treatment. Then I was going occasionally just for maintenance.

The second time I had pain was when I got pregnant and started having neck pain. I hadnt been seen for maintenance in about 4 months because we had moved and I didn't have a new chiro yet. I let that pain go on for a couple months before I saw someone. Again, it took about 3 weeks of treatment then I was feeling fine again.

Dont be afraid to shop around if you dont mesh well with the first dr you pick. I think it's important to really like your chiro because you'll be seeing him/her much more often than your family doctor. My first chiro was good at what she did but was way too chatty and tended to overshare her opinion on things...drove me nuts when I was seeing her twice a week :)

Sarah-B 10-20-2013 04:51 PM

Our family chiropractor is $100 per month for unlimited adjustments! I could go 6 days per week (he is closed Sunday) if I wanted but we go 2 times per week. I have been going since I was 14 to him and he is great. Me, my mom, my sis, my baby and my step daughter love to get adjusted (all included In the $100 per family price) DH could go but he doesn't do anything good for him lol.

Go you will love it and get some relief.

Congrats on your pregnancy and I hope you feel better op!

fekirby 10-20-2013 05:40 PM

I was adjusted by a chiro trained in the pettibon technique, which focuses on active stretches and warmups along with manual adjustments through my entire pregnancy. It totally works! I was pain free until 36 weeks when my body was just done being pregnant. But the adjustments helped so much, I can't even imagine being preggo without getting adjustments. My baby was adjusted hours after being born and has been adjusted once a month since. Chiropractic is much gentler for kiddos and usually for little ones is not done manually but with an instrument. I swear by it for everyone. Helps with colic, ear aches, etc not to mention keeping mom healthy and pain free. And a happy mama is good for everyone!