Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   When is the beat time to go to disney? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1560823)

MamaZnR 12-07-2013 06:17 AM

When is the beat time to go to disney?

I'd like to take our 2 and 6 yr old to Disney within the the next two years. I don't think we can afford a whole week but maybe 3 or 4 nights. Any tips?

~KittyKat~ 12-07-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaZnR
I'd like to take our 2 and 6 yr old to Disney within the the next two years. I don't think we can afford a whole week but maybe 3 or 4 nights. Any tips?

I would recommend spring or fall. In the summer it is soooooo hot. We went the first week in August when I was a kid and it was over 100 every day and so humid that it rained for a few hours every afternoon. We still had fun, but lots and lots of sweating and fatigue :-(. I know somewhere there is a website that shows the busiest and slowest weeks for Disney World, I would personally choose a low to moderate population week so there's less people on rides.

3 ladybugs 12-07-2013 07:10 AM

Re: When is the beat time to go to disney?

November before thanksgiving, December before Christmas but after thanksgiving, and January and February after Christmas, but before spring break starts.

I would prefer February because then you could scoot over to Tampa and go to the state fair or strawberry festival. However that is just me. :)

Have fun!

waterisntsomething 12-07-2013 07:45 AM

I second the first couple weeks in November. We went when I was a teenager and I know my parents got great rates, the weather was perfect, and there were no lines. Maybe a five or ten minute wait at the worst.

Psychomom 12-07-2013 08:07 AM

Early-mid October has always treated us well, during the week. We went once in mid-February and the crowds weren't bad but it was the one year that it was frickin' freezing there.

Rhianna'sMommy 12-07-2013 08:12 AM

My favorite time to go is mid to late January. It is dead at the parks (we've always walked onto the tides at this time) and for us the weather is wonderful (but FL people are complaining it is cold). We've gone in Oct and early December and both were nice (a little warmer than I like in Oct).

bluedaisyma 12-07-2013 08:50 AM

Everyone elses recommendations, but also, I like sept and Oct. It's pretty dead then.

3lilbubs 12-07-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaZnR (Post 17103478)

If you want zero crowds, right now (as in this week, mid-week.) or February which is when we are going. Which park are we talking about though?

Minniebees 12-07-2013 08:58 AM

I'm assuming you mean Disney World in Florida.

There really is no slow season anymore. The last time we went we went in early December thinking it would be low crowds, and it was a zoo. You can download line wait time apps, and then check to see what the lines are like on various days. Even January and September which are traditionally low crowd months have been super busy lately. I think a lot more schools are going to year round schedules, so there are various breaks throughout the year. We get 2 weeks in the fall, 2 weeks in the spring, and almost a month in January, plus a week in Thanksgiving. And a lot of people pull their kids out of school for trips now, too.

Go when the weather is what you want, if you want to visit the water parks, go when its hotter. If you want to experience Christmas there (which is pretty awesome) then go then. They also have various festivals like Food and Wine, and a garden thing, too. And Halloween time.

I don't know where you live, but Disneyland might be more affordable. The hotels and food on Harbor BLVD are certainly cheaper than Disney World.

Terra 12-07-2013 09:13 AM

Yeah, living 45 minutes from it and going at least once or twice a month, there really is not slow season anymore. There *are* better times. But not promises. I agree though about January or February. Also, if you are driving you could stay off property. I don't know your budget. But the value resorts are anywhere from $120-190 which isn't a value to me :giggle:
You can stay off property for $50+ a night [it's what we do generally when we do "vacations" there. If you're used to Ritz Carlton type hotels, then you of course wouldn't want to do a budget hotel, but if you are fine with it, then I would suggest Disney good neighbor hotels in the budget section. Here's the the link:

http://www.wdwgoodneighborhotels.com/

We stayed recently at Champions World Resort and we loved it. It looks kind of vintage from the outside but it was clean, the staff was amazing. They have a covered heated pool. So even though it was rainy, my son still swam. They have a nature area with a pond and "beach" where you can have a campfire and sit in chairs. It has a path to walk. A sports field, plus another sun pool. It was about $45 a night. The room had a fridge [a bit bigger one, not the micro fridge!], a microwave, and coffee pot. Ironing board, hair dryer.

The great thing also about Disneyworld is you can take your own food in! That cuts down costs. If you plan to eat one meal a day in park and pack a lunch, bring drinks [no alcohol and no glass containers], it saves lots of money. And honestly as much as I love Disney stuff and buy it from time to time, you can go to the gift shops on Highway 192 where all the budget hotels are, and buy the souvenirs. MUCH cheaper!

Take your own pictures, forgo photo pass.

Things like that help! They do have a camp ground, if you're up for camping, but book out at least a year because it fills up fast!