Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   is bread machine bread heaviery? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15875)

peverroad 06-20-2006 10:58 AM

is bread machine bread heaviery?

i have used our bread machine several times and it seems every time the loaf of bread is really heavy. Not light and fluffy like store bought bread. It is really heavy and dense and i don't really know how to explain it but i would like lighter bread. It rises like it is suppose to and everything (i think) but just really dense. Anyone know what i could be doing wrong or have a recipie for good fluffy bread.

wbkt8 06-20-2006 11:13 AM

Re: is bread machine bread heaviery?

all the recipes i've made so far are definitely not as light as a store bought sandwich loaf. but i wouldn't say it's like super-heavy. i love it myself. sorry :( i'm not much help.

keegans_mommy 06-20-2006 12:24 PM

I have ONE recipe I have that is sooooooooo much better than store bought and is just as light and fluffy as the store bought but without the preservatives, it doesn't last but 2 days that way. But then again, with 6 people in our family, it's a miracle if it lasts that long! :giggle:

Well, we don't bake this recipe in the machine but use the "dough only" feature and finish it up in the oven. We have found that if we bake it in the machine, it dries it up :headscratch:

Here is our recipe and it fits in our 1- 1 1/2 pound machine:

1 cup milk (warmed in microwave 45 sec.)
3 tbsp. butter (melted)
1 egg
3 tbsp sugar/honey
1 tsp. salt
3 cups All Trumps High Gluten flour (we get ours from Costco and it's the "Cadillac" of all flours!) gluten gives it great taste and "fluff"
1 tsp. yeast

I use the dough feature, let it go through that and when it's finished, I punch it down once, let it sit and re-rise for 10 min. After that, I put it in a buttered bread pan and set on top of a warmed oven (sorry to forget: pre-heat oven to 350) and let it rise in the pan for 30 min. After that, put in oven for 30 min. brush the top with butter and cool :D Awesome!

wbkt8 06-20-2006 01:07 PM

thanks for the recipe brenda. the other day i accidentally set mine to dough only and couldn't figure out how to get it to go on to the bake cycle. so i had to split it (since i've only got regular sized loaf pans) and it turned out great and a bit more sandwich sized.

keegans_mommy 06-20-2006 01:14 PM

I don't like baking in the machine for that reason too LOL LMK how it turns out for you if you can find the flour, even if you can't, you can buy gluten by itself. :)

Ashley 06-21-2006 11:12 AM

Bread machine bread is just about the only bread we eat in our house. It is usually more dense and will last only a few days on the counter before it's rock hard.

Keep experimenting with different recipes until you find one that's light enough. By adding 1-4 tablespoons of vital wheat gluten (can often find in a regular grocery store) your bread will rise higher and be fluffier so you might get the end result you're searching for.

Also, I haven't found a soft type bread recipe that uses only 100% whole wheat flour...I always mix in some white bread flour (I think my books say you should use half white bread flour). I have found some really good 100% whole wheat recipes, but they are definitely more dense, but we like them.

Good luck!

vegmama 06-27-2006 05:50 PM

Bread machines do make heavier loaves. I thought all home made bread would be like that until I made some by hand last week. That bread is sooo soft that we decided to give up our bread machine :) It takes a bit more time on my part, but I got my daughter to stand at the counter with me and pound the dough!