Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need Yummy Vegetarian Recipes Fast!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602)

LittleHobbitsMomma 04-26-2006 03:52 PM

Need Yummy Vegetarian Recipes Fast!!!

I just found out my folks are coming to visit and they are meat eaters!!! We are trying to phase meat out of our diets completely, and I know they are not going to respect that. So I need some yummy vegetarian recipes that will be quick, easy, and the kids will eat - not asking too much am I!! We can use the Morning Star ground crumbles and fake chik strips, and I just bought some Quorn products but so expensive!!! I will be feeding four kids and four adults, and I need to stay within some sort of budget and make it tasty enough my parents won't push meat! Help!!! We eat very simple, but with my folks here they will want the salad, bread, veggie, starch, and meat type of dinner and I am not accustomed to that anymore!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Carrie 04-26-2006 05:27 PM

Re: Need Yummy Vegetarian Recipes Fast!!!

We are also trying to phase out meat. Meals like spinach lasagna or other pasta dishes are very filling and many meat eaters don't notice that there is no meat. Dh and I love veggie burgers and they are much cheaper than the Quorn products which I don't buy anymore because of the cost. Boca burgers actually taste more like meat which could be good for the meat eaters. If you eat fish, Tilapia is inexpensive and it is relatively free of mercury and such. Oh, I know what you mean about parents. My mom was in charge of meals when E and R were born and I was always thinking, can't we just eat already instead of having like 4 courses? She would take hours to prepare a meal that would have taken us under 30 minutes. You might also ask your parents if there is a special meal they would like or if they want to go to the store and get some of the things they want...I always try to compromise with visitors so it doesn't seem like I have to do everything my way, KWIM?

hfitz5051 04-27-2006 08:49 AM

Try www.allrecipes.com Here is a favorite of ours that even dh eats and I have served to company many times: http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/LsgnRllps.asp Sometimes I add fresh mushrooms to it.

lovemyboys 04-27-2006 09:41 AM

Well, if you want the "traditional" kind of meal, I would recommend using the Quorn roast or naked cutlets, a couple of side dishes, and dinner rolls. You could do mashed potatoes and gravy (or baked potatoes) with some kind of vegetable...cous cous (or rice) and broccoli rabe or spinach cooked with olive oil and garlic...whatever you like. My DH usually makes the roast for us. He does a marinade of olive oil, soy sauce, minced garlic, black pepper...I think balsamic vinegar would also work great.

Italian foods stretch really far, and you could definitely save some money with those. Maybe do lasagna, stuffed shells, veggie alfredo, or olive oil and garlic with lots of veggies...and the usual salad and fresh bread and butter or garlic bread.

It's not exactly traditional, but a stir fry or other dish served with rice would be inexpensive and feed many people. One of our favorite dinners lately is chicken stew with biscuits. We get either the Quorn cutlets or the tenders and cut them into cubes. I can give you a recipe if you'd like...this also makes great pot pies.

Whatever you decide to make, serve a great dessert afterwards. My favorite is a quick and easy chocolate timamisu. And of course, serving wine with dinner (if they drink wine) will make everything seem even better! :hugegrin:

LMK know if you want a recipe or some links to veggie sites.

lovemyboys 04-27-2006 09:51 AM

Forgot to mention this...if you can, use the Boca crumbles. The taste and texture are much better IMO than Morningstar.

hfitz5051 04-27-2006 09:59 AM

Now, I usually use Boca and just bought Morningstar because some said THAT has the better taste lol. Haven't tried it yet though.

lovemyboys 04-27-2006 11:31 AM

We always used to use the Morningstar crumbles until we tried the Boca. The Morningstar ones seem to be softer, kinda mushy. I think the Boca crumbles almost have a grilled taste to them. Let us know what you think when you try them!

LittleHobbitsMomma 04-27-2006 11:57 AM

Thanks for the great ideas Mamas! The spinach with garlic and olive oil made my stomach growl - that sounds yummy!

LovemyBoys: I would love the chicken stew recipe and more links!

I checked the allrecipes.com site - wow, that's awesome! They have a lot of great ideas too.

I told my mom yesterday that we weren't eating meat much anymore (not at all but I was afraid to say that). Her response was what about chicken? fish? And then she says do you want us to bring our sour beef recipe with us? AARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!

I will look for the Boca crumbles at the store today. The post commissary only carries the Morning star ones, so that's all I have tried.

Thank you so much!!! I really need your support right now!!!

hfitz5051 04-27-2006 12:13 PM

I mentioned to my mom yesterday that I'm only making vegetarian meals now and she didn't even think anything of it. I never much like meat. She would always seperate me some spaghetti sauce before adding sausage and beef lol.

MamaLove 04-27-2006 02:42 PM

Here's a few of our favorite recipes:

Veggie meatless balls for pasta sauce:
2 cups grated cauliflower
2 cups grated cabbage
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tspn. salt
2 tspn. curry blend (1 tspn cumin, 1/2 tspn. coriander powder, 1/2 tspn tumeric)
oil for frying
Heat oil, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Roll into 24 balls, 1" in diameter. Fry balls over medium heat for 10 min. until it is golden brown. Drain in colander and add to pasta sauce

Veggie Nutloaf or Nutburger
1 cup chopped veggies: celery and chopped green pepper
1 1/2 cups nuts: walnuts, cashews, almonds (blanched)
1 3/4 cups cooked rice
1 1/2 cup grated cheese (monterey jack)
2 1/2 tbspn. italian seasonings (1 sage, 1 basil, 1/2 thyme)
1/2 tbspn. salt
1 tspn. black pepper
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
Grind/blend nuts together. Combine ground nuts and rice. Add 1 cup grated cheese. Add spices and chopped veggies. Add 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Mix well. Preheat oven to 350. Mold ingredients into an oiled loaf pan or shape into burger patties on oiled sheet pan. Bake for 50 min. Top with remaining tomato sauce and cheese and bake for 10 more min.

We make huge batches of this stuff into patties and freeze them, then put them in the toaster oven to make a sandwhich anytime.

I can post some more if you'd like (vegetable chow mein,vegetable quiche, veggie casserole, sweet and sour tofu veggies, and curried coconut veggies.